Subject: RE: [chairs] reminder to chairs: OASIS IPR Policy member review

I am not an expert in this field but it seems to me that the "IPR-free"
zone to which you refer is automatically excluded from the IPR policy
because only claims or potential claims of IPR involving work of a TC
can trigger provisions of the IPR policy in the first place. So perhaps
one way of looking at it is that the "IPR-free" zone is outside the
scope of the IPR policy but continues to co-exist nonetheless in a
robust environment.

Best regards.

John Messing
American Bar Association representative to OASIS
Member, LegalXML Steering Committee