Subject: RE: [chairs] RE: [members] OASIS member review of proposed revision of TC Process

I would like to echo Rob's comments.  I am trying to understand the
motivation behind this change.  I don't see how OASIS is advantaged in
any way by this, but I do see serious disadvantages.  I know there are
quite a few members that participate in multiple TC--but can't commit
fully to all.  So they maintain observer status for most and member
status for a very small number.  Yet their input is still essential.

Can someone please explain the rationale behind this change?

Eligible
> Person who is subscribed to the TC email list, and may attend TC
> meetings, but is not allowed to participate in TC email list
> discussions, participate or speak in TC meetings, or make
Contributions
> to the TC. The process for becoming an Observer is defined in the
> section "TC Membership and Participation".
>
> I STRONGLY disagree with making this change.  The SSTC has over 260
> members, of which 40-50 are active voting members.  However, our TC
> regularly receives valuable input on email discussion topics from
> members that don't have currently active voting status.  These
postings
> are from folks such as those in other TC's that monitor our list
because
> those TC's have some dependency on ours. Requiring folks to find some
> other mechanism to provide their input simply throws up barriers in
> front of them and will in all likelihood result in us not receiving
that
> input at all.
>
> The input from these members is very important to us.  I believe this
> be a bad change of policy that goes against the open, free exchange of
> ideas that we rely on.
>
> Rob Philpott
> Senior Consulting Engineer
> RSA Security Inc.
> Tel: 781-515-7115
> Mobile: 617-510-0893
> Fax: 781-515-7020

Process,
> > the document that governs the creation and operation of TCs at
OASIS,
> > and the advancement and approval of the work they do. This revision
> > includes changes suggested by TC chairs, the Technical Advisory
Board
> > (TAB), and other members. It also includes changes required to
support
> > the new IPR Policy; because these two documents rely on each other
> they
> > must be revised, approved, and become effective at the same time.
> >
> > The Board has approved an OASIS member review of the revised
Process;