Subject: Re: [chairs] Reminder: Q&A on new OASIS policies

Harm,

Excellent response - thank you for taking the time to post this.

I am deeply concerned here.

Some will dismiss this as over-reaction, but the the heart of this
is that we are now being denighed what previously had been
an option in the OASIS process.

The Board brushed aside the request for a 4th IPR mode - one that is
in-line with European patent law and IPR rules more in-line with ISO
and UN/CEFACT - where participants agree to operate in an
IPR-free-zone where they state they do not have
and will not seek any IPR restrictions on work contributed.

The Board composition IMHO  is unrepresentive of the overall interests
and consitutient mix of OASIS here.

When I hear that the Board is being directed by
patent lawyers from major companies and being instructed on
what IPR rules should apply - I seriously question what is transpiring
here.

We are being told that these three IPR modes are the only ones we
can consider.  But who is telling us this?  Big corporate lawyers.

These same lawyers are saying that we can adopt royality-free policies
after the specification is approved.  This IMHO is just a trick.  Once
you have eaten of the fruit you cannot give it back - and they know that.

But there are alternatives clearly.  Each TC can decide to adopt in its
charter that the work is royality and license free and open and public
as part of the deliverables of the TC.  And that a condition for
participating in and contributing to the work to fulfil that charter is to
agree to that pre-conditionally.

We already have many TCs whose work is based on that principle.
Those TCs that need that should take steps to enact those directives
specifically to their Charters immediately IMHO.

Notice that none of those big corporate lawyers work for companies
that are contributing centrally to those TCs work.

This is all about trust, and openess - what we are being offered here by
the OASIS Board is a policy that condons the use of IPR-constrained work
and establishes that as the normal practice.  No surprise that big company
lawyers who get paid to make IPR should want that situation.

Harm, I too am working with governments, seeking to persuade them to
join OASIS and participate.  In fact one such is just making that decision
right now this month.  I have to make a decision this coming week to
call them and tell them to wait until this issue is resolved - since they
may not actually be able to participate come Janaury 1st, 2005 - since
none of their representatives will be able to sign the participation
agreement required.

We need a 4th non-IPR policy and mode, and support for that in the
policy and procedures.  Notice that people working to that mode can
join any TC freely and contribute anywhere.  Such people will be
welcomed into TCs since there is no question as to their integrity
and motives.  With other people who have chosen one of the 3 IPR modes
you constantly have to be asking yourself - hmmmm - is this XML schema
change they are suggesting something they have IPR on / pending / thinking
of / and I am going to have to license as part of the specifications?

This is fundamentally changing the entire character and nature of OASIS
and how governments will perceive it and respond to OASIS specifications
in future as you rightly point out.

Thanks, DW