Subject: RE: [chairs] OASIS Symposium - TC Meeting Space Reservations

David,
Please appreciate that the TAB and OASIS staff give much consideration to the timing of this event.

This year's Symposium date and location were selected based on feedback from last year's attendees. The 2004 event was well attended
and the overwhelming majority of members clearly said 'same time, same place.' Those TCs that were unable to meet last year asked
for more lead time in 2005; they did not object to the time or location.

We are looking now for a place and time to meet in Europe in the fall. If you can suggest a city that wouldn't cause people to
criss-cross flights and a week that doesn't conflict with other events, we'd be happy to hear your ideas.

(Believe it or not, many people do not want to schedule business trips when their children are off from school.)

Thanks,
Carol

-----Original Message-----
From: David RR Webber [mailto:david@drrw.info]
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 8:45 AM
To: Jane Harnad
Cc: chairs@lists.oasis-open.org; carol.geyer@oasis-open.org

Jane,

I must ask that next year some consideration be given to the timing of this event.

The end of April is a peak time for events both here in US and in Europe.

I really question the logic of holding this in New Orleans at a time when potential contributors could easily be facing three plane
flights criss-crossing
the planet in the space of a week or ten days.   The same thing happened
for
OASIS Europe clashing with an event here in the USA, and last years New Orleans clashing with an event in Europe.

Surely it would make more sense for a focus event for OASIS to be scheduled in a quieter time of the year.  For those of us with
families - during school breaks are always considerably better timing.

In any case - OASIS should try and pick dates that do not conflict with other XML and eBusiness related events in the calendar.

It's tough enough as it is to justify time and expense to a dedicated OASIS event but even tougher if it conflicts with events that
marketing and sales are going to want people to attend instead.

Just a plea here for the haggard road-warriors amongst us!

Thanks, DW