Subject: New IPR rules, Q&A sessions

TC leaders:

    Shortly we will be announcing the final revisions to our IPR Policy
approved by our Board of Directors.  They follow the general principles
laid out in the Member Review Drafts this summer [1], although they have
been considerably improved by input from the member comments received [2].

     TRANSITION PLANNING
     When the IPR Policy changes are announced, two key dates will be
announced for their application:
     -- an initial effective date in April 2005 (at least 60 days after the
announcement), and
     -- the end of a long transition period (in April 2007), during which
pre-existing TCs may transition.
During the transition period, each TC may choose when to select one of the
three "modes" available under the 2005 rules, and proceed under the new
policy requirements.  The revised rules include a short "Transition Policy"
that structures those transition votes.
     This approach will give today's TCs some flexibility in their approach
to transition.  I don't expect the new rules to change the goals or work
plans of many TCs, because they clarify the same basic principles with
which we've worked for years, with some clarified licensing
obligations.  But if a TC does anticipate some effect on their work, the
transition rules will allow them to pick a conversion date within the
2-year window to suit their needs.
      FYI, new TCs which start (as defined by their first meeting date)
after the initial effective date will be covered by the revised policy and
so will need no transition period.

     TC PROCESS
     As you know, the TC Process rules also are being revised, largely to
conform to the IPR Policy revisions.  The Board is finishing its work on
those now.   They will be completed and posted well before the effective
date of the IPR Policy changes.  However, they have not radically changed
from the general outline of the October member review draft [3], save some
improvements from member input [4].  I do not anticipate any significant
operational effects on TCs from these rule revisions that weren't obvious
in the October draft.

     CONFERENCE CALLS
     You may recall that we conducted some orientation conference calls,
last October, to discuss any concerns and comments of TC chairs regarding
the  member review drafts. [5]   The feedback we received suggested that
these were useful.  We would like to do so again during February, to review
and discuss any issues that you anticipate in implementing the new IPR rule
revisions.
     Last October we used three dates and times intended to provide fairly
wide access, regardless of time zone and schedule.  I invite any feedback
on optimal time slots for these calls, which we plan to conduct during the
week starting 21 February.  We will finalize and post a set of dates, times
and conference numbers to this list by 10 February.
     We also plan to hold a session on TC leadership, rules and skills at
the April OASIS Symposium in New Orleans, as previously announced [6], and
hope that you can join us there.

    Thank you for all of your efforts on behalf of open standards.  Jamie

~   James Bryce Clark
~   Director, Standards Development, OASIS
~   +1 978 667 5115 x 203 central office

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/members/200407/msg00002.html
[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/member-agreement-review/
[3] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/members/200410/msg00004.html
[4] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tcproc-member-review/