Subject: RE: [chairs] Presentations and General Information on TC work

Jamie,

Great idea - this should make it much easier for outside parties to go
beyond the surface info on a TC home page to quickly gain a deeper
understanding of the work being done there.

One question: will this related to the current FAQ link? Should a TC's FAQ
also reference these presentations/general info docs?

=Drummond
Co-Chair, XRI and XDI TCs

-----Original Message-----
From: James Bryce Clark [mailto:jamie.clark@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 8:26 PM
To: chairs@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org; carol.geyer@oasis-open.org;
andy.moir@oasis-open.org

     We frequently are asked by outside sources -- analysts, prospective
members, other standards groups -- to provide pointers to useful summary
resources about a TC's work.  Obviously, we would like to direct inquiries
to the most useful available material.   These may take various forms -- a
one-page datasheet, a ten-page white paper, a slide deck, a user's guide or
a chart.   Frequently these materials exist, but they are not always in an
obvious location.

     In order to facilitate inquiries, your staff is creating a distinct
new documents folder in the web-based repository for each TC, normatively
called "Presentations and General Information."  This will remain
accessible to TCs  as usual, but staff also will add materials, as
described in the further detail appended below.  The usual rules, including
the OASIS IPR Policy, apply to material that is uploaded to a TC's
repository and thereby contributed to the TC.

     A large and diverse group of communities closely watch OASIS and its
TC projects.  We should strive to help them find existing entry-level
resources
that                                                                explain
our work.

     Regards  JBC

~   James Bryce Clark
~   Director, Standards Development, OASIS
~   jamie.clark@oasis-open.org

FURTHER DETAIL

     Not every slide deck or document in a TC's repository is broadly
informative to external readers.  Many TC-related documents focus on a
particular task, or feature; or the work of a particular viewpoint or
enterprise; or a proposal not vet formed or resolved.  For this special
folder, we are seeking to point only to a few documents that:
     (a) originate with the TC or its members;
     (b) are reasonably complete and presentable; and
     (c) fairly describe the TC's progress, recent work or current arc of
anticipated work;
     (d) in a manner that would be meaningful to non-TC-members.

Note, these criteria do not rule out slides from a branded source; but do
rule out material that is substantively about advertisement, rather than
the OASIS specification.

     OASIS staff reserves the right to move documents in and out of the
"Presentations and General Info" folder, as seems appropriate to maintain
useful and timely pointers..  This will be a (slightly) dynamic list, and
therefore not the sole or archival location for any resource.  If we
include existing TC repository documents we will *copy* them and upload the
copy, leaving the original in its present location, so as not to break any
links.   If we move items out of that folder, we will make sure they
persist in at least one other TC repository location.  We will send a
manual or auto-generated note to the TC general e-mail list for each
change.

     Please feel free to let us know about, and to upload, suitable
material that  may be suitable as external-facing general descriptions of
the TC's work.