Subject: RE: [chairs] TC Process revisions released

I concur with Duane on the "excused absence" route.  We use the same
mechanism in several non-standards groups, such as school governing
bodies, with the added concept of an "approved absence", where members
formally accept the legitimacy of the excuse for absence.

Howard Mason

-----Original Message-----
From: Duane Nickull [mailto:dnickull@adobe.com]
Sent: 09 May 2005 21:45
Cc: chairs@lists.oasis-open.org; James Bryce Clark;
mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org

               *** WARNING ***

This mail has originated outside your organization, either from an
external partner or the Global Internet.

Diane, Steve:

I concur.  If a member comes to 4 meetings in a row, misses one, attends
one, then misses another one, they are no longer deemed a member by
these rules, despite an overwhelming amount of participation. Since most
of my TC is required to travel as part of their jobs, this scenario is
highly possible.

I would prefer a notion of excused absences.  If someone contacts the
chair before the meeting, explains why they cannot make it but still
offers input for the meeting and then reviews the notes & minutes, I
find they are more helpful than the type who may actually attend but not
participate in the conversation in any way.

I would like to ask if anyone would be opposed in principle to reviewing
this?

Duane

Diane Jordan wrote:

> I also have a question about this -  the new policy seems to say that
> members should  lose voting rights any time they miss 2 out of 3
> meetings.  This seems overly harsh.  Previously it took consistently
> missing 2 out of 3 meetings to lose rights (assuming members responded

> to the warning appropriately).
>
> Regards, Diane
> IBM  Emerging Internet Software Standards drj@us.ibm.com
> (919)254-7221 or 8-444-7221, Mobile: 919-624-5123, Fax 845-491-5709
>

> "Anderson, Steve" <Steve_Anderson@bmc.com>
>
> 05/09/2005 03:15 PM

> 	James Bryce Clark <jamie.clark@oasis-open.org>,
> chairs@lists.oasis-open.org
> cc
> 	mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org
> Subject
> 	RE: [chairs] TC Process revisions released
>

> I don't know if this was just added or if I simply missed it before,
but I
> have a concern about the policy on maintaining voting status.  The new
> policy [1] says that upon missing 2 out of 3 successive meetings, the
> member
> loses voting status -- period.  It says a warning MAY be sent (not
> sure when
> -- after the first absence?), but that loss of voting status does not
> depend
> on such a warning.
>
> Under the current good standing policy, missing 2 out of 3 consecutive
> meetings results in a warning.  Loss of voting status only occurs if
the
> member misses the next meeting.  That means that it takes missing 3
> out of 4
> meetings (and a warning) to lose status.
>
> I can see why removing the warning from the process is valuable.  But
the
> automatic loss of voting status after missing only 2 out of 3 meetings
> (rather than 3 out of 4) is, IMO, unreasonable, particularly given the
> lengthy and non-automatic process for regaining voting status.  Normal

> "day
> job" requirements are likely to cause absence in 2 out of 3 meetings
more
> often that the LOA process is designed to accommodate.
> --
> Steve Anderson
> BMC Software
>
> [1] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process_2005.04.15.php#2.4

Guidelines"
> also will be issued to reflect these updates.  Of course, you're also
> welcome to contact Mary McRae or myself, your TC's designated Staff
> Contact, or any member of the OASIS staff with questions or comments.
>
> Best regards   Jamie Clark
>
> ~   James Bryce Clark
> ~   Director, Standards Development, OASIS
> ~   jamie.clark@oasis-open.org
>
> [1] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process_2005.04.15.php
> [2] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php.
> [3]

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/members-only/download.php/9
623/
> TC%20Process20041007.pdf
> [4] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/change_summary_2005.php (to
be
> uploaded shortly)
> [5]

http://www.oasis-open.org/events/symposium_2005/related_events.php#rober
ts_r
> ules
>
> ====
>
> OASIS TC PROCESS CHANGE SUMMARY: 2005
>
> This is a summary of the principal changes made to the September 2003
> version of the OASIS TC Process.  These changes were approved by the
> OASIS
> Board of Directors on 23 March 2005, effective 15 April 2005.  NOTE
> this is
> not an exhaustive list, and this document is non-normative.
>
> TC attendance no longer affects TC Member status once achieved, nor
> subcommittee membership.  Participants may be either Voting Members or
> non-voting Members of a TC.  Once a  person becomes a TC Member, they
> remain in that state until they resign or cease to be eligible.
> Attendance
> in a TC's activities only affects voting rights in the TC.  Also, the
> attendance rules have been simplified slightly.
>
> Several changes have been made to TC launch and scoping rules:
>     *  A greater number of proposers is required to launch a
> TC.  ("Minimum Membership" = at least 5 proposers, at least 2 of which

> must
> be from different organizational members.)
>     *  Participants who are employee representatives of an
organizational
> OASIS member require confirmation from that organization when they
join a
> TC as a Member.  (Note that becoming a Member has consequences under
the
> OASIS IPR Policy.)
>     *  In addition to the current right to "clarify" a charter, a new
> procedure for "rechartering" has been introduced to permit broader
> changes
> (such as expansion of the scope of a TC).
>
> The advancement process for specifications has been modified:
>     *  Specifications created by the TC but not yet approved are given
> defined name:  "Working Draft".
>     *  A TC may by a majority vote of all Voting Members (="Full
Majority

--
Senior Standards Strategist - Adobe Systems, Inc. - http://www.adobe.com