Subject: Fw: [chairs] Re: Attendance effects on TC membership (was) TC Processrevisions released

One very specific clarification I would appreciate: when do the Observers
in my TC actually lose their ability to contribute and what should I do to
prevent that? In principle, the "when" was on April 15 when the new process
came into effect. In practise, this has not happened yet - they can still
mail the TC mail mailing list for example. Will the TC Admin inform each TC
chair which of their current Observer members' are eligible for conversion
to (non-voting) member before they become unable to send mail to the TC
mailing list?

Regards,
Ian Robinson
STSM, WebSphere Messaging and Transactions Architect
IBM Hursley Lab, UK
ian_robinson@uk.ibm.com
----- Forwarded by Ian Robinson/UK/IBM on 18/05/2005 03:26 -----

             Diane Jordan
             <drj@us.ibm.com>
             10/05/2005 16:20          James Bryce Clark
                                       <jamie.clark@oasis-open.org>
                                                                        cc
                                       chairs@lists.oasis-open.org,
                                       dnickull@adobe.com,
                                       mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org,
                                       steve_anderson@bmc.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [chairs] Re: Attendance effects on
                                       TC membership (was) TC Process
                                       revisions  released

Most of the members on my TC would see loss of voting rights as very
significant.  I agree that leaving this sort of decision to a chair's
discretion could lead to unnecessary controversy.

An idea:  refine the rules so that punitive measures would be taken based
on the length of time during which attendance falls below 2/3, eg,  x
months or x number of meetings/ballots where x might be on the order of 3
months or 10 meetings/ballots depending on the pace of TC meetings/ballots.

The loa rules make it difficult to use this as a substitute for an "excused
absence".  During the recent review, I suggested that the limit on loa's be
raised or eliminated but never saw any response to this.  The limitations
seem unnecessary since the TC has to approve loa's after the first one
anyway.  This is something the TC can monitor and take action on if an
abuse occurs.

I think more flexibility is in order to accomodate a global community of
professionals many of whom are participating in these standards efforts
above and beyond their full time responsibilities at their companies.

Regards, Diane
IBM  Emerging Internet Software Standards
drj@us.ibm.com
(919)254-7221 or 8-444-7221, Mobile: 919-624-5123, Fax 845-491-5709

 James Bryce Clark
 <jamie.clark@oasis-open.org

                                        steve_anderson@bmc.com, Diane
 05/09/2005 11:07 PM                    Jordan/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS,