Subject: RE: [chairs] How to handle applicants and disclosures re TC participation

This increases the need (as oBIX has requested repeatedly) to have some sort of public forum. The net affect of oBIX moving to OASIS has been in many ways, a complete separation of the oBIX standards committee from any of the larger industry it is a part of. Let's see now, under OASIS guidelines:

- No advertising of standard
- no conversation with outsiders
- no suggestion box (which is also a good recruting tool)
- no public BBS

All we need to do is remove the right-side menu on the OASIS site and our isolation will be complete.

I understand the need to distinguish between foormal IP and other offerings to deliver restriction-free standards. But somehow we are going overboard and damaging our ability to bring industry consensus together that the OASIS standard for [oBIX] is worth while. We may as well give up and conced the standards entirely to the ad-hoc market standards and give up on development.

"A goal is a planned conflict with the status quo." -Hyrum W. Smith
Toby Considine
UNC

________________________________

From: James Bryce Clark [mailto:jamie.clark@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Mon 6/20/2005 4:34 AM
To: Ian Robinson
Cc: chairs@lists.oasis-open.org; scott.mcgrath@oasis-open.org; carol.geyer@oasis-open.org

     We intend it to do just that, and reset the (Kavi) system to turn off
the write-access of observers around 15 April.   Recently our IT staff
discovered some code that was thwarting this in some cases, and permitting
some observers to post anyway.  I'm told this now is corrected, as of a few
days ago, so no "observers" (or "applicants") should be able to post.
     I think your suggestion about a general post to members (participant
account holders) about how this works, and how they should retain their
place if they wish, is excellent and will do so.   Thanks.  JBC