Subject: RE: [chairs] Wikis

Jamie (and Mary and the rest of the OASIS staff who worked on this),

I was ecstatic to announce this to the XDI TC members last night, who were
no less ecstatic that they now had a home for the lightweight collaborative
work of the TC for which wikis are ideal.

You made an excellent choice in MoinMoin, and the OASIS team also did a
super job configuring them and providing a clean interface.

I simply cannot tell you how helpful this will be in the work of the XRI and
XDI TCs. I thank you, and all the members of these two TCs thank you (and my
wife thanks you, and my sons, and our two cats, and...)

=Drummond
================
Drummond Reed
CTO, Cordance Corporation
Co-Chair, OASIS XRI & XDI TCs
http://public.xdi.org/=Drummond.Reed

-----Original Message-----
From: James Bryce Clark [mailto:jamie.clark@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 12:31 PM
To: chairs@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [chairs] Wikis

     A number of OASIS TCs have asked for Wiki capability.  Wikis have
proven to be a useful "scratch space'" tool in communities like ours. The
most stable, capable commonly-used Wiki engine that our tech staff have
identified is MoinMoin, which several OASIS-related communities use.  We
plan to make Wiki pages available to any TC that requests it,.  Our tech
staff has installed a Wiki server and is running a beta test with the XRI
and XDI TCs.

      Expected ground rules:  (a) global public readable, (b) write access
to TC members,  (c) the IPR Policy applies, and (d) archiving of
intermediate drafts is intermittent (as with all Wikis), so any permanent
artifacts should be moved to the regular TC document repository.

     As the beta testing TCs do their work, you may find it interesting
to  watch.  See:  http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xri
     and http://wiki.oasis-open.org/xdi
     For more on the MoinMoin engine specifically
see:  http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/FrontPage
     For more on WIkis generally, here's one of many possible resources:
http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?WhyWikiWorks

      Any other TCs that are interested in being part of the beta test,
particularly those with robust activity and a strong likelihood to use the
resource, should let us know.  (Directly, please, not by cc to this broad
list.)  Our plan is to be done with the testing phase, and integrate a Wiki
link into the TC page menus, by late July.

      This new, optional facility is only one of several significant
improvements we're planning to OASIS document handling capabilities in the
next few months.  Among other things, with the assistance of our Technical
Advisory Board, we shortly will be posting a revised plan for naming and
location of all TC work product.  We expect that this will make uploading,
and finding, our work much easier.

     Regards JBC

~   James Bryce Clark
~   Director, Standards Development, OASIS
~   jamie.clark@oasis-open.org