Subject: RE: [chairs] OASIS IRC

Cgiirc is a great idea.

-matt

-----Original Message-----
From: Wachob, Gabe [mailto:gwachob@visa.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 7:32 PM
To: Eduardo Gutentag; Matt MacKenzie
Cc: James Bryce Clark; chairs@lists.oasis-open.org;
support@oasis-open.org; tc-admin@oasis-open.org

Eduardo -
	My guess is you have a SOCKS proxy at Sun (in fact, I'm fairly
certain you do) and you have a lot more flexibility with SOCKS than you
might with a http-proxy-only firewall.
	IRC is fundamentally a client-server (to server) protocol, but
there are a number of direct client-to-client capabilities that some
folks are used to (I never use them, but some people like them for
exchanging, uh, large files). That may be what Matt was talking about
(there *are* legitimate uses, of course, for these features).

	Anyway, no matter what, I'd really suggest that OASIS host a
server to provide cgiirc access to the server for those who are behind
really strict http-proxy-only servers. Perhaps this cgiirc access could
be limited to OASIS members with a valid login...

	-Gabe