Subject: RE: [chairs] OASIS Organizational Voting is Somewhat Absurd?

First, I agree the process is flawed. It is going to get exponentially worse as OASIS grows (# new TCs times the # new organizations).

Let me make a suggestion that is similar to Rob’s.

1)       OASIS would establish a set of domains.

2)       Each OASIS member organization would elect to participate in N number of domains.

3)       Each TC could chose to submit specs to a specific domain or OASIS at large. If a TC submits the spec for “domain approval”, the vote threshold should be higher since it is a more focus group.

If you want a good first cut at the list of domains, go to the OASIS home page and look at the “Committees by Category” box.

Some specs really should be approved by OASIS at large because they are very general. For example if there is a new version of UDDI, I would see that as being an OASIS wide vote. The vast majority of specs, however, should be voted on by a subset of organizations.

Jeff Bohren

BMC