Subject: RE: [chairs] KAVI: Better control over "documents" display on frontpage

Well, now that the Pandora's box is open... ;-)

Seriously, we were just discussing this very matter on an XRI TC call and
chaffed for the nth time about the fact that the Kavi system produces two
different URLs for every document -- one for private access via members and
one for public access. Getting TC members to remember to use the public URL
in emails, blog posts, etc. is just short of murder (even I, who have done
this 100's of times, screw up at least once a month).

So I have to ask: is there any really strong justification for the
members-only URLs? Life would be so much easier if there were just the
public URLs...

However, even if the answer to that question is Yes, it would be ideal if
BOTH URLs were given on the Members view of the document repository. That
way it would be much easier to remember to select the right URL from that
page, and not constantly have to switch back and forth between the Member
and Public view of the doc repository.

Finally, I want to strongly second Eve's suggestion that the public
interface to the docs repository should have the same features as the
member's interface. Arguably it is the public that more often needs to
retrieve an older TC document, or search for TC documents by category (TC
members typically need to work primarily with the most recent versions.)

=Drummond