Subject: RE: [chairs] Re: OASIS IPR policy ... (transition timing)

Jamie,

So we're just ignoring the issue with OSI and figuring that noone will want to have an OSI license for OASIS implementations anyway?

I recall a public statement by OASIS that they were going to work with OSI on this.  I guess that's all it was?

Thanks, DW

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [chairs] Re: OASIS IPR policy ... (transition timing)
From: James Bryce Clark <jamie.clark@oasis-open.org>
Date: Thu, February 23, 2006 7:43 pm
To: david@drrw.info,chairs@lists.oasis-open.org

At 06:02 AM 2/22/2006, David RR Webber \(XML\) wrote:
>Thanks to Jamie for raising this on to the agenda again.
>So far only 4 TCs have converted to the new IPR policy.  That leaves the
>remaining 95% of us still wondering. * * *

    David:  I think you are incorrectly attributing the speed with which
TCs transition to some perceived issue with the 2005 IPR Policy.

    Most existing TCs elected to save the task of an IPR Transition Policy
conversion for a down-time project.  As we reach the 1-year mid-point of
the 2-year conversion period, you will see more conversions.  However, some
TCs also may choose not to go through the drill, simply because they
anticipate completing their work and their natural lifespan before April
2007. Nothing wrong with that, either.

    Some pre-2005 TCs have acted *early* to take on the new IPR Policy,
because they see virtue in its improved clarity and much stronger mandatory
license provisions.   So do I.

   Regards  Jamie

~   James Bryce Clark
~   Director, Standards Development, OASIS
~   jamie.clark@oasis-open.org