Subject: RE: [chairs] Comments and IP

Hal,

Surely this is there already in the use of the "Join" email message - and the fact that by clicking on the "Confirm Subscribe" link they would be agreeing to the terms and conditions and instructions that preceeded the link in the email?

Would be a simple incremental enhancement of the latest email sign-up process OASIS has just implemented...?
DW

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Hal Lockhart" <hlockhar@bea.com>
Date: Fri, April 14, 2006 10:12 am
To: <patrick@durusau.net>, <chairs@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi Patrick, how have you been?

I believe the issue is that OASIS needs a positive confirmation that the
party providing feedback actively agrees to the terms of the Feedback
License (Appendix A of the IPR Policy). Since this commits the party to
things like patent licensing terms, mere notice is not sufficient. They
have to sign and return the form.

This is not my area of expertise, but perhaps a click-thru license on
the web page might be sufficient. However I don't think an automated
message on a mailing list would ever be sufficient to create a binding
legal commitment.

Hal

AM.