Subject: RE: [chairs] Patent license friction...

First, IANAL, but I’ve had to work with them a lot over the last 4+ years re: IP issues on SAML…

See my 2 cents below…

Rob Philpott
Senior Consulting Engineer
RSA Security Inc.
Tel: 781-515-7115
Mobile: 617-510-0893
Fax: 781-515-7020
Email:
rphilpott@rsasecurity.com
I-name:  =Rob.Philpott

From: David RR Webber (XML) [mailto:david@drrw.info]
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 11:43 PM
To: Frederick Hirsch
Cc: Chairs OASIS; ext Wachob,Gabe

Gabe,

Of course the other option is to have TC work that precludes patented material.

 [RSP] Sure, TC’s can (and probably should) always try to do this. But try as you might, this sometimes just isn’t possible.  And none of us can forget that no matter what IPR policies OASIS makes available and a TC adopts, there can very well be firms that aren’t OASIS members and aren’t participating in a TC’s work that might holds patents applicable to the TC’s work.  Even after the standard is approved and implemented, someone can come forward and try to claim patent infringement.  It’s difficult to design around patents you don’t know about.

I still do not see any IPR policy that specifically supports that option - other than the legacy policy.

[RSP] My point is that I’m not sure something like this can be satisfactorily codified in an official policy option.  Sure, you might say that the TC MUST NOT include any known patented technology, but this seems VERY risky to me and I don’t think I’d waste my time on such a TC. Your TC could go all the way through the development of your standard and go thru your public review only to then find as a result of the public review that someone holds some related IP.  What in the world would you do then?  You’re now in violation of your TC’s IPR policy and have to either start over to work around the IP or just give up.  Seems like a waste of time to me if you could just get the IP holders to offer the IP on an RF basis.

To my knowledge the BOD - despite Patricks assertions that OASIS would - still has made no effort to accommodate the OSI concerns in this regard nor arranged any conference calls or interactions with OSI to move toward having OASIS TC work able to comply to OSI licensing needs.

[RSP] I do think these concerns should be specifically addressed (if they haven’t already – but I don’t recall seeing any announcement).

For the life of me I cannot see anything in SAML that anyone could legitimately claim to have a patented invention around.  But then again people have patents on the menu key sequence for bank ATMs - clearly a ground breaking invention - key pad sequences.  Would be interesting to know exactly what about SAML is using such a unique mechanism that it is a patented system?

[RSP] “Legitimacy” is defined through the patent office (US and others) and by the courts if necessary; not by individuals like you, me, or other technologists participating in the TC’s.  Fairly late in the SAML 1.0 TC’s work, RSA’s chief scientist came to me and said he firmly believed that 2 patents we held were directly applicable to a specific mechanism being used by SAML for web SSO.  I had not known about the patents and it wasn’t intuitively obvious to me at first, but he made a very strong case and convinced me of their applicability. I was then obligated to bring it to the TC’s attention.

If the SSTC had a policy of not including any “known” patented IP, the SSTC would have been forced to stop its work, analyze the IP, and figure out if it was possible to design around it.  Even IF there are those that didn’t believe the patents were relevant, it would take a court case to decide that should RSA continue to insist that they did.  SAML 1.0 could have been delayed perhaps by years since it would have meant fighting the battle against the claims or redesigning SAML to work around them. Instead, RSA “donated” the IP on an RF basis in order to promote the standard’s acceptability to the industry. Later, during SAML 2.0’s development, we incorporated technology contributed by members of the Liberty Alliance which brought some additional IP into play that was claimed by other companies.  All of the companies involved then offered the IP on an RF basis.

Assuming the patent may fall under the not-really-an-invention-at-all category - hopefully the SAML TC can re-factor their work so that it does not rely on any dubious or questionable patents in the first place...

[RSP] That is just NOT going to happen.  It is irrelevant whether everyone might think a patent claim is dubious or has questionable applicability. Redesigning around the IP would be difficult and time-consuming.

IMO, the best solution to this is to work with any companies that believe they hold applicable IP to get them to license that IP on an RF basis.  The OASIS IPR policy makes it explicit up front, and IMO, goes a long way toward helping to solve this issue.  Is it perfect?  Obviously not (as indicated by the OSI issue), but it represents the will of the general OASIS community at the time it was adopted.

W.r.t. SAML, all the companies involved have offered the IP on an RF basis.  IMO, the REAL issue in all of this is the type of license that those companies require adopters of the standard to accept in order to obtain that RF use of the IP. For the RSA patents we declared durin SAML 1.0, we required implementers to download, sign and mail back a license (this was a fairly typical approach at the time).  More recently, companies with IP affecting open standards have been using a “defensive suspension” provision for licensing whereby you are granted rights by the IP holder without having to sign anything, but the rights are revoked if you ever try to claim patent infringement against that IP holder.

Specifically w.r.t. SAML 2.0, AOL offered this type of licensing.  Fidelity “meant” their license to work the same way, but it turns out the legal language was ambiguous.  We have been working to attempt to get this fixed.  RSA just kept their same approach that was in place from SAML 1.x, but we also have been working to change our license to a defensive suspension provision as well (stay tuned).

DW