Subject: RE: [chairs] Patent license friction...

Robert,

We could provide an OASIS mailing list / RSS feed that people could subscribe to for official OASIS specification news.  Actually folks may like that - you'd only get news relating to spec's - nothing else.  So formal announcements of releases, new versions and such - and we could prefix the message subject line with [spec-id] - so people could filter and alert on only the spec's they are interested in...

DW

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Philpott, Robert" <rphilpott@rsasecurity.com>
Date: Tue, May 02, 2006 10:12 am
To: "David RR Webber (XML)" <david@drrw.info>
Cc: "Chairs OASIS" <chairs@lists.oasis-open.org>, "Frederick Hirsch"
<frederick.hirsch@nokia.com>, "John Messing"
<jmessing@law-on-line.com>, "Wachob,Gabe" <gwachob@visa.com>

From: David RR Webber (XML) [mailto:david@drrw.info]
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 9:57 AM
To: Philpott, Robert
Cc: Chairs OASIS; Frederick Hirsch; John Messing; Wachob,Gabe

Robert,

Thanks for clarifying all this.

It might be an idea to add a colour coded column to this table -

 http://www.oasis-open.org/specs/

to indicate which ones are RF and which ones require licensing for implementers - as right now everything is lumped together - and people may be forgiven for thinking these being all publicly approved spec's means they are all open and public licensing as well.

[RSP] Seems reasonable to me.

I understand the need to be able to keep everything in synch'.  I'm not sure that decoupling the IP needs from the spec' however is necessarily turning out in practice to be the best / least confusing approach.  We could always allow adminstrative corrections to specifications directly when IP needs change - that would cover off the points you raise.  That way we have just one place for everything - the specification download.

[RSP] we could allow administrative updates, but then folks need to learn about the updates and those that have previously downloaded the approved standard would have to come back to get the new one.  That doesn’t seem too practical to me, but I’m open to being convinced otherwise.

One question though - if I sign an agreement - and then subsequently the terms change - do I have to re-sign?  Seems like we probably have to have that covered in the IP assignment clauses that OASIS asks for - so grandfathering can occur.

[RSP] seems to me it depends on the license TERMS. It gets pretty messy if you change the terms of the licensing.  In our case, we’re moving from an active licensing process to a defensive suspension process.  The actual terms aren’t changing as they are both Royalty Free/Reasonable and Non-Discriminatory (RF/RAND).  Just the licensing process changed (we just made it easier – getting rid of the download/sign/return).

It would be a BAD idea to permit someone to change their licensing terms and (I don’t recall this off the top of my head), but that may already be disallowed by OASIS.

DW