Subject: RE: [chairs] Membership for open source implementers

Paul,

Good thoughts.

Notice these days that Apache is itself a big organization and has tons of resources poured into it - no cobblers sons' there I'd wager!!!

What Bob Glushko reported was insightful.

Problem is - that was then - this is now.  Now everyone is doing OSS - so its no longer a fringe practice - thin on supporting resources. In fact the reverse - its so easy so set up an OSS project - and support it with worldclass collaboration tools - all free.

One has to ask the serious question - is a free membership really what an OSS developer needs?  I'd say the majority would say not!  So what does OASIS have to offer that may enduce them to spend $300+ on membership?

1) Exposure - links from TC sites
2) Supporting adoption by members / credability / community building
3) Partnerships and collaborations
4) Open public specification that matches their implementation
5) Promotion via white papers / case studies et al
6) Test bed and conformance tests
7) Wiki and other support resources
8) More hands to the mast - when you write code - you need people doing all the other things 1) thru 7)

I think if you go after dangling these types of carrots - serious OSS developers are not going to have too much trouble joining your TC / and / or working on implementations...

And this brings us back to the objective in the first place - to foster OSS implementations.

BTW - there's also the reverse - cool OSS stuff out there that needs a TC to formalize spec's for it - one I've been looking at seriously is iText and scripting XML for handling PDF validation and manipulation - but that's another whole story (NO NO - I'm NOT starting another TC!)  ; -)

DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)