Subject: New rule on which document wins when there is ambiguity

Fellow chairs,

I am way less than 100% comfortable with the new rule #3 (documented at [1]) stating that when there is a discrepancy between a normative specification and an external document (such as a schema/xsd file) that the external document shall always be assumed to be the correct one. I can think of several cases in the TCs that I have either chaired or been involved with that this has happened and in every case the spec was right and the external document was wrong. I would like to understand why OASIS felt compelled to *mandate* this process, I would have much preferred having the TC process require each TC to unambiguously state, in the event of a discrepancy, which document should be assumed to be correct.

Am I alone in this concern or do others of you share my view?

[1]
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/members/200908/msg00000.html

Cheers
Kelvin (WS-SX co-Chair)

Kelvin R. Lawrence
Distinguished Engineer & CTO, Emerging Internet Software Standards
Member of the IBM Academy of Technology (
http://www.ibm.com/ibm/academy)
IBM Software Group. 11500 Burnet Road, Austin, TX 78758.
e-mail: klawrenc@us.ibm.com  Twitter: @gfxman
BLOG:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/KRL