Subject: RE: [chairs] New rule on which document wins when there is ambiguity

Very nice disquisition...

If we accept that the artifacts are normative, and assume each to be machine readable, does this create a quality checking process for each specification that each artifact be machine read, and that the machine readings produce the same result? Would guidelines in that area address some of the concerns?

tc

"A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying ... that he is wiser today than yesterday." -- Jonathan Swift

Toby Considine
Chair, OASIS oBIX TC
Facilities Technology Office
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC

Email: Toby.Considine@ unc.edu
Phone: (919)962-9073
http://www.oasis-open.org
blog: www.NewDaedalus.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Dovey [mailto:m.dovey@jisc.ac.uk]
Sent: Saturday, August 08, 2009 5:44 AM
To: Chris Kaler; Kelvin Lawrence; Mary McRae
Cc: chairs@lists.oasis-open.org

I can see a logic to this rule.  Any real world implementation of a spec will be more likely (if not certainly) have components generated from machine readable files such as XML schemas. As such when there is a conflict between say an XML schema and a normative document although the normative document might be "right" and the XML schema "wrong", changing the normative document rather than the schema would have a lower impact of real world implementations than correcting the XML schema.

However, I do agree, that there is a risk that the rule might be misinterpreted by some to mean that any XML schema can stand alone as the definition without reference to the normative documents. If the rule were to remain, this would need clarification (i.e. a proper definition of what is meant by "discrepancy").

That said, like Chris and Kelvin, I'm not entirely happy with the rule.

Firstly there is another situation where the rule is ambiguous. A spec may have (and quite often has) multiple machine readable files such as an XML schema and an RELAX NG schema. If there is a conflict between the RELAX NG schema and the normative doc, but not between the XML schema and normative document, which one prevails? There is an obvious common sense answer here, but the new rule muddies the water in this case rather than clarifies. However, in terms of impact, it really depends on which schema file has been used by real world implementations. If most use the RELAX NG schema, then it might be appropriate to change the XML schema and normative documents.

Which brings be to my second reservation - I believe (since it is the only reason I can think of), that the motivation behind this rule is to reduce the impact caused by documentation errors, by identifying a correction which causes fewer changes to existing implementations (rather than a correction to what was originally intended). However, to me that seems to be a judgement call, not one that can be cast in a black and white rule. There may be cases where changing the schema to the normative spec causes a lot of pain for implementers with no real gain or benefit; however there may be other cases where the error in the schema has detrimental side-effects elsewhere in the spec.

I would much rather see a set of guidelines for TCs in dealing with such situations so that they properly consider the impact on both for the integrity of the spec and the existing implementations when dealing with this sort of situation, so that a TC does not blindly force the normative spec to conform to the schema or vice versa without properly considering the ramifications of both and taking the better action in that situation.

Matthew