Subject: Re: [chairs] New rule on which document wins when there is ambiguity

Adding to Robin's explanation: you need to look at the context in
which this rule was formulated.

A paragraph before the one containing the rule in question stated
that a TC must produce more than one version of a specification, and
one of those versions must be declared to be the authoritative one.

At the same time, another paragraph stated that all normative
computer language definitions must also be produced separately in
plain text files.

The motivation for this last was to ensure that it was possible to
(a) prove that the schema [fragment] was well formed and valid,
as required, and (b) for implementors to copy and paste the schema
[fragment] as needed into their implementation, neither of which
would have been trivial, or perhaps even possible, in the case of
line numbered PDF versions of a specification.

There was an obvious tension between this last and the fact that
the authoritative version was the one declared by the TC to be so,
which could give rise to serious problems, as when the plain text
version said one thing and the PDF version said something different,
perhaps not well formed, and yet that was the authoritative version.

The solution to this quandary was to say that while the TC could
declare a line-numbered PDF version, for instance, to contain the
authoritative text of the specification, when it comes to those
parts of the specification that are "normative computer language
definitions" (e.g. schemas, instances, code) in all cases the
corresponding text file is the authoritative one.

Now, it's clear that the rule is not perfect -- no rule is perfect.
But let's not muddy the waters here. As with any other rule a million
scenarios can be imagined in which the rule may be misinterpreted
or applied erroneously, or in which the rule is not sufficient;
one of these is the one raised by Matthew where you'd have a PDF
spec, an XSD schema and a RELAX NG schema that contradicts the XSD
schema. Well, I don't think a rule can be written that would cover
this case, except a meta-rule: All TCs should make darn sure they
read and edit carefully what they produce, and make sure that what
they produce is implementable.

Regarding Chris's objection, please note that this rule is intended
to deal only with definitions (as in "normative computer language
definitions", i.e. schema fragments, for instance) that may not say
the same in the case of the PDF and the text only file, not with
rules specified in the text of the specification. If there is a
case in which the spec says that the element name is "foo" and the
fragment embedded in the spec says the element name is "foo", and
a text file is pointed at from there in which the element name is
"bar", well -- I would point out the meta-rule above...But if the
issue is that the spec specifies schematron-like constraints and the
schema fragment in the text file cannot express those constraints,
I bet you the schema fragment in the spec cannot express them either,
so there is no conflict, is there?

Finally, regarding Kelvin comments: the rule does not say that
when there is a discrepancy between a normative specification and
and external document the external document prevails. What it says
is that when there is a discrepancy between a normative computer
language definition in the specification and its equivalent normative
computer language definition in the external document, the external
document should be considered the authoritative one.

Perhaps that paragraph should be rewritten, abandoning the desire
for elegant language in favor of a clearly unambiguous expression:

"All normative computer language definitions that are part of the
specification, such as XML instances, schemas and Java(TM) code,
including fragments of such, must be well-formed and valid, and
must be provided in separate plain text files. Each text file must
be referenced from the specification. Where any computer language
definition in these separate files disagrees with the corresponding
computer language definition found in the specification, the computer
language definition found in the separate plain text file is the
authoritative one."

Would that lower your concerns?

PS - another way to write the meta-rule above would be "TCs are
not allowed to be ridiculously sloppy" ;-)

--
Eduardo Gutentag        |    e-mail: eduardo.gutentag@Sun.COM
Technology Director     |    Phone:  +1 510 550 4616 (internal x31442)