Subject: RE: [chairs] Draft Jan 2009 TC Process changes summary

[If there is no normative content that why would Committee Notes have conformance clauses?]
Let me speculate along issues I have been wrestling with in this area to answer this...

I work in a variety of areas where there are developing concepts of something like profiles (overloaded term recognized) for areas that are not yet well understood. My domain space is still today heavily siloed, with the interactions just being explored. These areas smart buildings and smart energy are just beginning to creep into any sort of effective interactions.

We defined a low level specification for an atomic interactions with control systems. These allow one to interact with embedded systems, for HVAC and for Security and for anything that is automated inside a commercial building or home or industrial site. (OASIS specification oBIX 1.0) These are just beginning to enable some more creative interactions, what I call the enterprise responsive building.

Some of these interactions are high profile, such as all facilities in the 2008 Olympics, or all those surprising buildings in Dubai.  Some are intriguing combinations of IT and control systems, such as policy based event management of perimeter sensors used in Iraq. None of them are well defined enough, or repeated enough, or will any time soon get a mass of participants large enough to move to a standard.

Others might, but not yet. Interactions between Building Systems, and Open Floorplans , and Building Information for Emergency Responders (BIFER) might well rise to the level of standards, but not yet. The business models of smart energy, such as managed energy (direct load control) and collaborative energy, are so different from one another, and sometimes so different from today, that we do not see those making standards yet.

oBIX has a concept of Contract, something that binds a bunch of commands and requests together, and that can be referred to later as a unit, and that provides a lens for predefined views into a system. Today, each contract is hand-designed, and system specific. The oBIX work plan has long assumed that we would have standard contracts defined. The standard contracts do not belong in the oBIX specification, or do not yet.

We have long been reaching for the right structure to define these standard contracts. This work would be interacting with the oBIX interfaces on the outside of diverse systems with diverse features and diverse underlying protocols. There may be competing oBIX smart energy contracts, for example, for some time. It has been difficult to guess where to put this type of work into the existing OASIS structures.

Perhaps these non-normative committee notes are the right way to define these contracts.

tc

"A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying ... that he is wiser today than yesterday." -- Jonathan Swift

Toby Considine
Chair, OASIS oBIX TC
Facilities Technology Office
University of North Carolina