Subject: RE: [chairs] Draft Jan 2009 TC Process changes summary

I think that we avoid should semantic discussions about the meaning of "spec", "information note", "guidelines", etc and concentrate on establishing a clear distinction between what a TC *intends* to be normative (and thus establish a legitimate expectation on the part of "consumers") and what a TC intends *not* to be normative (and thus effectively issuing a caveat emptor).

What the current discussion seems to boil down to is thus a matter of intent.

The only thing "we" (any OASIS TC or authority, as the "producer" of a work) can have any control over is whether a work is intended as a normative work or an informative (or any other purpose) sort of work.

I agree with Jon that there will be many authorities who will wish to make normative use of potentially *any* OASIS TC work but we can never predict, manage or control that. No TC, nor OASIS itself, will be able to address the issue of intent on the part of the "consumer".

Best regards,
Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Bosak [mailto:bosak@pinax.com]
Sent: 10 January 2010 11:21
To: Mary McRae
Cc: Jeff Mischkinsky; chairs@lists.oasis-open.org

Mary McRae wrote:
> Hi Jon,
> A Committe Note does not replace Committee Specification. That
> is still a very viable category, and there is no requirement that
> all Committee Specifications be submitted for OASIS Standard
> ballot. If what you're working on is a specification, then by all
> means it can stay in the Standards Track. The new Non-Standards
> Track is to support a formal process for approval of work products
> / documents that aren't specifications. The Non-Standards Track
> defines the approval level post public review as a Committee Note
> - the equivalent in TC approval terms to a Committee
> Specification.
>
> I hope that clarifies and alleviates your concerns.

Actually, I got that.  Sorry if it sounded like I didn't.

What I meant was that the ordinary English meaning of the word
"specification," viz., "a specific, explicit, or detailed mention,
enumeration, or statement of something," applies to a lot of
things that we're going to be calling Notes.  For example, the UBL
Guidelines for Customization constitute "a specific, explicit,
detailed mention, enumeration, and statement" of our guidelines
for customization.  The document is a specification of our
guidelines.  The new use of Committee Specification now limits the
universe of things called specifications to those specifications
whose possible end point is an OASIS Standard.  That's OK, but
it is a limitation on the plain English meaning of the word.

This is just a terminological observation -- not worth quibbling
about.

Jon