Subject: Re: [chairs] Draft Jan 2009 TC Process changes summary

In answer to question 1.

> 1. Is there any substantive difference between a Committee Note and a
> Committee Specification that a TC decides not to advance to an OASIS
> Standard vote?

In TAG TC we have written a guidelines document whose style is not really
suitable as a technical specification because it centres around examples,
explanations and suggested best practises. This does not mean we could
not use the Committee Specification template but doing so does leave room
for confusion. But it is not so much the template (and its boilerplate text) but
the whole style of the prose of the document which makes it more of a
committee note than a committee specification. It is written like a tutorial for
those wishing to understand the technology rather than as a specification.
A Committee Note document type (whatever its name) might have been
ideal for this document.

I note too that it does not follow that it would be a document having any
realtionship to any document intended as a Standard; it could be standalone
(though in this case it does act as guidelines to other documents we wish to
pu on the Standards track).

Best regards

Stephen D Green

Editor/Secretary, Test Assertions Guidelines TC