Subject: RE: [chairs] What can Standards Development / TC Administration do to help?

Aren't namespaces supposed to be opaque? So unless they are excessively
long or practically painful in some other way, the TCs shouldn't care
much about their composition, I think.

As far as their uniqueness goes, I think this can be better managed by
the authority who owns the domain name (typical component of namespace
design) and has the overall administrative supervision over the various
groups wanting to have their own namespaces.

Basically, Martin's suggestion to have TC's request and get a namespace
from the OASIS staff makes sense to me.

Best wishes,
Sanjay

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Freund [mailto:bob.freund@hitachisoftware.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2010 8:29 AM
To: Martin Chapman
Cc: Mary McRae; chairs@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [chairs] What can Standards Development / TC Administration
do to help?

Dosen't that just put the show on the other foot?
What if the TC does not like the looks of the allocated namespace which
might be some random string?

On Apr 22, 2010, at 11:07 AM, Martin Chapman wrote:

> How about having a service whereby TCs can request the allocation of a
namespace, rather than making one up and falling foul of the hard to
interpret guidelines. This could also be accompanied with a partially
filled out rddl document that points to the right places.

> Martin.

good shape to get your documents
>> turned around quickly once again.
>>
>>  That said, I have at least a dozen ideas of services we can once
again offer, or new services, to
>> make your lives a bit easier, but I thought I would ask you for your
ideas rather than deciding for
>> you. There are some caveats of course:
>>
>> a. Neither Kim nor I have the power or the skillset to change
anything about the way Kavi works.
>> b. We're not talking about changes to the TC Process.
>>
>> So, for instance:
>>
>> - Would you find a template for recording meeting minutes helpful? If
yes, in what flavors?

>> - Would you like us to take over creation of spec covers? (as in
you'll use a temporary cover which
>> would become part of the template, you would provide us with whatever
information necessary, and we
>> would create the cover pages with all the appropriate links and make
sure they work before uploading
>> to docs.oasis-open.org?)
>>
>> - Would you like us to review your specifications prior to TC ballots
so you don't need to go back and
>> fix stuff afterwards?
>>
>> - Would you like us to call in to TC meetings periodically just to
hear our voices and answer any
>> questions you might have?
>>
>> - Would you like more training materials? If yes, is there a
particular topic you'd like to see
>> covered?
>>
>> Remember these are just some of *my* ideas; I want to hear *your*
ideas. I need to know what your TOP