Subject: RE: [chairs] What can Standards Development / TC Administration doto help?

> Aren't namespaces supposed to be opaque? So unless they are excessively
> long or practically painful in some other way, the TCs shouldn't care
> much about their composition, I think.

I think it's sometimes difficult to know how to apply the "opaque" rule,
if one believes in it strongly.

Some TCs care about NS URI composition because it's (arguably, in their
design considerations) interactive with namespace versioning policy,
where a versioning component may be incorporated as a substring in the
URI string.  I think that decision should be left to TCs (not mandated
by OASIS Staff).

Another consideration relates to the choice of NS URI type when selecting
an HTTP scheme URI: (final string char) slash, slashless, or hash.  There
are cogent arguments for selecting one of these three as opposed to one
of the other two.  And yes, the discussion becomes religious, but I support
a TC's right to incorporate their choice into specification design (e.g.,
QNames appended to final "/" in a NS URI, for concatenation to generate
derivative names in the space (named properties, functions, dialects,
faults, actions, other message types as non-information resources).

Some of the current design principles for OASIS (HTTP scheme) NS URIs was
taken from W3C formulations, but admittedly, dicussions in the W3C TAG
have moved the conversation forward.

Discussion (and rules) here:

OASIS Naming Guidelines
"XML Namespace Design, Allocation, and Management"
http://docs.oasis-open.org/specGuidelines/namingGuidelines/resourceNamingV08.html#NamespaceDesign

"URIs for W3C Namespaces"
http://www.w3.org/2005/07/13-nsuri

"Associating Resources with Namespaces
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/nsDocuments/

"The Disposition of Names in an XML Namespace"
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-namespaceState-20060329/

> As far as their uniqueness goes, I think this can be better managed by
> the authority who owns the domain name (typical component of namespace
> design) and has the overall administrative supervision over the various
> groups wanting to have their own namespaces.

The uniqueness requirement is already incorporated into the Naming
Guidelines document:

[quote]
URIs intended for use as HTTP scheme URI namespace names
should be formally identified by the TC (as early in the
specification design process as possible) so that the
OASIS TC Administration may check for possible naming
collisions, approve the proposed resolution target
resource [namespace document], and properly reserve the
URI -- including possibly reservation of (all) space
below the hierarchical level of the candidate NS URI [/]

> Basically, Martin's suggestion to have TC's request and get a namespace
> from the OASIS staff makes sense to me.

A compromise might be to suggest that Staff work with TCs in understanding
various design considerations that might be relevant in that particular
TC's specifications (namespace architecture)

- Robin

Robin Cover
OASIS, Director of Information Services
Editor, Cover Pages and XML Daily Newslink
Email: robin@oasis-open.org
Staff bio: http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#cover
Cover Pages: http://xml.coverpages.org/
Newsletter: http://xml.coverpages.org/newsletterArchive.html