Subject: Re: [chairs] What can Standards Development / TC Administration do to help?

Great point Jamie!

Ken Holman has done an amazing job with the DocBook environment - it's been through several iterations now - and it's almost foolproof. I'm hoping that the DITA environment JoAnn and Don have mentioned will create the same end result - eliminating many of the things that cause problems. It's not just the checking that's quicker, but using the DocBook environment makes it much harder to mess up.

I think the key thing here is that unless a significant percentage of TCs would be taking advantage of it by authoring in a content and structure-based, rather than formatting-based, structured markup language, the development costs can't be justified.

Mary