Subject: Michael Priestly and an unspoken assumption

Greetings!

It occurred to me while eating supper that perhaps Michael Priestly and
I are disagreeing over an unspoken assumption. Perhaps not but here goes...

Must a user who is using *descriptive* markup, see the *descriptive* markup?

My answer would be no. And as evidence I would cite the experience with
ODF, the reports we have seen about DITA on this list and other examples
of interfaces that don't display descriptive markup to users and yet the
users are clearly using (in my sense of the term) *descriptive* markup.

Question: Is that an unspoken assumption that is dividing us?

Just curious. It isn't something that occurred to me to ask earlier.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau