Subject: Re: [chairs] What can Standards Development / TC Administration do to help?

hi,
   One more very important requirement to keep in mind:

   Once the "volunteer" who authored the spec has long since gone,
OASIS (staff) will have to maintain and be able to edit the source
files for the specs. Essentially, this amounts to saying that
organizational costs and requirements also have to be factored in.

   This is one of the reasons why OASIS, the organization, can not
really tolerate 100's of TCs producing 1000's of documents/specs, all
in a different format.

   I am NOT saying that "one size fits all" has to be the order of the
day, but i am saying there has to be a reasonably small number of
acceptable formats. There should be a enough flexibility so that folks
have a reasonable chance of finding a production methodology for their
TC that fits their comfort level, but not necessarily their
"perfection" level; and that balances the OASIS organizational
requirements. (uniform look/feel, maintainability, low staff overhead,
etc.)

   We should also be able to have enough automated checking of
requirements that we get scalability as the number of TC's and specs
goes up. This is most certainly not the case today. There is far too
much hand/custom checking that has to be done by OASIS staff, which is
partially responsible for the frustrations and delays some TCs
encounter in trying to move from adopting a motion to have a public
review/CS ballot to actually being able to open the PR/CS vote.

cheers,
   jeff
On Apr 22, 2010, at 3:56 PM, Bob Freund wrote:

> That can easily be changed, flexibility comes at the cost of
> scalability.
> The point is to balance ease of authoring, ease of automated
> verification and error checking, and flexibility in output format
> coupled with consistency in appearance.
> In the end it matters little what authoring tool is used as long as,
> in an xml format, a normative reference is decorated just so, and
> the editors are decorated just so, and the copyright so and so-forth.
> =bob
>
> On Apr 22, 2010, at 4:41 PM, MARTIN.CHAPMAN@ORACLE.COM wrote:
>
>> Oasis allready allows a TC to author specs in any format for which
>> a template exists. And if a template doesn't exist you can request
>> one.
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 22 Apr 2010, at 20:44, Michael Priestley <mpriestl@ca.ibm.com>
>> wrote:

>>> None of those are output formats. And authoring in any one of them
>>> is mutually exclusive with the others. You can only have one
>>> source format.
>>>
>>> OpenOffice editors may be capable of reading ODF into memory, and
>>> then outputting to other models - but that is not the same as
>>> authoring in that model. For example ODF allows formatting
>>> instructions in source that deliberately have no equivalent in
>>> DocBook or DITA. And both DITA and DocBook have semantic and
>>> structural requirements that cannot be enforced in a general-
>>> purpose word processor.
>>>
>>> If we created equivalent stylesheets for DocBook and DITA, we
>>> should be able to get a common look and feel from those two
>>> different source formats. To accomplish the same end in ODF would
>>> require a different approach, I believe, using authoring templates
>>> and guidelines rather than schema rules and stylesheets.
>>>
>>> I think it would be wonderful if OASIS allowed authoring of its
>>> specifications in any of its standardized document formats. Then
>>> TCs can make their own choice of source format based on the
>>> capabilities they require, and produce a common look and feel that
>>> still supports the needs of the OASIS brand.
>>>
>>> Michael Priestley, Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
>>> Lead IBM DITA Architect
>>> mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
>>> http://dita.xml.org/blog/25
>>>

>>> From:
>>> Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net>
>>> To:
>>> bryan.s.schnabel@tektronix.com
>>> Cc:
>>> mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org, Bob.Freund@hitachisoftware.com, Dave
>>> Ings/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, chairs@lists.oasis-open.org
>>> Date:
>>> 04/22/2010 02:56 PM
>>> Subject:

--
Jeff Mischkinsky			          		jeff.mischkinsky@oracle.com
Sr. Director, Oracle Fusion Middleware 				+1(650)506-1975