Subject: RE: [chairs] What can Standards Development / TC Administration doto help?

Mary,

Since your original email has already received a lot of response with ideas (good & bad), I'm just going to respond briefly to your questions (inline below).

TH: Currently the SSTC just uses plain text minutes, capturing agreed actions items, motions, etc under each Agenda item. An important feature is our ability to link back to the specific email items (on the SSTC website).  Thus, I'm not sure if a template will make this link back easier or harder.

> Mary:
> - Would you like us to take over creation of spec covers? (as in you'll use a
> temporary cover which would become part of the template, you would provide us
> with whatever information necessary, and we would create the cover pages with
> all the appropriate links and make sure they work before uploading to
> docs.oasis-open.org?)

TH: Yes, I think this would be very useful.  Many/most editors (including me) seem to have problems with setting-up the spec cover (page-1) correctly.

> Mary:
> - Would you like us to review your specifications prior to TC ballots so you
> don't need to go back and fix stuff afterwards?

TH: I presume you mean format checking. (NB. I think the correctness of the content is the responsibility of the authors and TC collectively.).  If you could perform format checks and thus speed-up ballot creation, this would be a great help for the SSTC.

> Mary:
> - Would you like us to call in to TC meetings periodically just to hear our
> voices and answer any questions you might have?

TH: Actually it would be nice to have you drop in now and then :-)  Most of the time its only the Chairs that interact with you directly.

> Mary:
> - Would you like more training materials? If yes, is there a particular topic
> you'd like to see covered?

TH:  Yes, training is always useful.  I personally found your video/presentation on the Oasis document process very educational and practical.

Some last minutes comments:

- Stay with OpenOffice and PDF formats. (XML is just too cumbersome to edit manually).

- Is there a checklist of to-do items for formatting the spec covers (page 1) ?

Thanks

/thomas/