Subject: Re: [chairs] What can Standards Development / TC Administration doto help?

Peter,

On 4/23/2010 12:07 PM, Peter F Brown (Pensive) wrote:
> Could someone clearly sum up what is broken and requires fixing?
>
> The initial post included a range of ideas from staff to improve TC work. We are now discussing the (de-)merits of an XML editing suite.

I am rushed but here are two:

1) URLs in *published* specs are routinely broken. (i.e., there is no,
repeat no uniform proofing of links prior to publication)

Q: How difficult is it to use a free link checker and the correct any
errors?

2) The citation of standards in OASIS standards ranges from non-existent
standards (literally) to cited well known standards several different ways.

Q: How difficult is it to verify the correct citation for a standard?

Here's a bonus one:

3) There is no *enforced* QA step for publications prior to TC or OASIS
ballots nor is there a complete set of what a publication must or must
not do in order to pass the QA step. Note I said *enforced* and I mean
literally that. Don't pass QA = Don't get to vote on it. Quality is not
a TC level issue. It is an OASIS branding issue.

I will try to look over my notes on reviews from just the last year to
give you more examples of what is *broken* in the current system.

I would not characterize these issues as "improving TC work" as
standards with broken links, inconsistent if not non-existent citations,
arbitrary use of control language, etc., are symptoms of a *broken*
process. (full stop)

This is an *OASIS* level issue because every specification/standard that
bear the OASIS brand with these and other problems, *diminishes* the
stature of the work by TC who really do work hard to get their work right.

Hope you are looking forward to a great weekend!

Patrick

> Peter

>>> 22/04/2010 17:41
>>> Subject: