Subject: Re: [chairs] Re: A hosted solution for specification editing?

Peter,

On 4/23/2010 1:51 PM, Peter F Brown (Pensive) wrote:
CCFAAA135DF6554F92BACD35A80653D705DDF36602@IE2RD2XVS031.red002.local" type="cite">

I remember when many said that xml would solve all our semantic woes, with “self-describing documents”.

Hey! No reason to bring up old hurts. ;-)
CCFAAA135DF6554F92BACD35A80653D705DDF36602@IE2RD2XVS031.red002.local" type="cite">

The problem is not the toolkit – it is using and conforming to the spec. blueprints.

-          If a spec is drafted in ODF or Word, how difficult is it to assess whether the required sections are present? Some minimal tooling should be able to do this, whatever tool/schema is used;

-          If there is a QA and subjective assessment to be made of the actual content/wording, no amount of tooling will address the problem

+1 on the problem being conformance to spec. blueprints.

And thanks for pointing out that this isn't exclusively a tooling problem.

Tooling can address link checking, validation of the structure of content (like the conformance section being the last section before any annexes), uniform styling, etc.

It should not be difficult to assess whether required sections are available or not. I don't know how much detail you want in this thread so I will leave it at that but with the observation that several approaches are possible based on work done at OASIS.

For the non-tooling aspects, OASIS needs to decide if substantive quality is a goal for its standards. It is as simple as that.

Standards can be made quickly, cheaply or well. But you only get to pick one of those. Standards that are made well are not quick, nor are they cheap.

Personally I am hopeful that OASIS will choose the route of making standards well. There are a number of examples of well made standards at OASIS. All I am asking is that we hold all TCs to the same bar.

Hope you are at the start of a great week!

Patrick

CCFAAA135DF6554F92BACD35A80653D705DDF36602@IE2RD2XVS031.red002.local" type="cite">

Peter