Subject: Re: [chairs] Practical considerations and impacts of mandated editingformats /tools

Michael,

On 4/26/2010 9:13 AM, Michael Priestley wrote:
OFAE72ACE0.13B0647E-ON85257711.00481FDF-85257711.00489D8D@ca.ibm.com" type="cite">
Hi Patrick,

I don't know if the situations you describe would hit the rules - they are all examples of OASIS setting the tools direction.

Ah, ok.
OFAE72ACE0.13B0647E-ON85257711.00481FDF-85257711.00489D8D@ca.ibm.com" type="cite">What I do know is that if a single TC tried to do this - setting up the software on their own, storing the content on a non-OASIS server, and only copying the source over to the OASIS source control - that is not allowed.

Sure, but that isn't because of remote hosting. It is because access/work isn't being governed by OASIS IPR rules.

OFAE72ACE0.13B0647E-ON85257711.00481FDF-85257711.00489D8D@ca.ibm.com" type="cite">I've previously had email conversations with Mary and others about setting up a solution like this, and the response I got was (and I look to Mary for corrections)

- a TC cannot set up its own source control system
- OASIS will not support a new system that is only useful to a few TCs

Sure.
OFAE72ACE0.13B0647E-ON85257711.00481FDF-85257711.00489D8D@ca.ibm.com" type="cite">For the DITA TC, we'd love to have a single system that let us develop the spec, review it internally, and publish. We have the technology - and the WYSIWYG editor - what we lack is a compelling statement of interest from other TCs.

True and I suspect other TCs (I can think of one in particular, ;-) ) would have other preferences for the basis for the tool chain.

It was mentioned that MS Word has add-ons that handle DITA. Realizing the differences in enforcement that we discussed earlier, I wonder if given the simplicity of an OASIS standard format, if it would be possible to fashion both MS Word and OpenOffice interfaces to an online system?

Granting that in theory and some practical cases your round tripping argument is valid, but my question is would those come up in editing OASIS standards? Assuming the use of templates, restricted sets of styles, etc.

The reason I suggest MS Word and OpenOffice is that they would cover a significant percentage of the tools in actual use, assuming that some provision was made for the use of both IE and FireFox on Windows and Macs for lesser duties.

Even though I have a Linux box networked into my current display, the question is accommodating a reasonable majority of users and not all users. The latter being a very difficult and costly target. If anyone who is excluded wants to pony up the money to extend the coverage, feel free. I am sure OASIS would appreciate the funds.

Hope you are at the start of a great week!

Patrick

OFAE72ACE0.13B0647E-ON85257711.00481FDF-85257711.00489D8D@ca.ibm.com" type="cite">Michael Priestley, Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
Lead IBM DITA Architect
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com