Subject: Re: [chairs] This Old House (OASIS) - Further Response to Peter Brown

Rob,

On 4/28/2010 5:11 PM, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Oh, I think this is more like saying don't trust a house builder whose
> toolbox is not neatly organized.  Maybe, maybe not.  I think it is
> something that would need to be demonstrated, not assumed.

OK, how many examples would count for a demonstration?

Give me a reasonable number and I will post them to this list, naming
names as it were.

Here's one to get us started (although this is true across all TCs that
I am aware of):

Follow this link to get ODF email archives:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office/messages.php

Now, follow this link to get ODF email archives:

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/

Do you notice anything different about those two pages?

(Hint: You can search using MarkMail with the second one.)

Err, would having a uniform way to access email archives, hopefully
MarkMail, be too much trouble?

That's one.

Well, here is another one:

Can you pick out which of these URLs you should send to a member of the
public who is interested in the definition of WEEKNUM?

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/201004/msg00460.html

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office/email/archives/201004/msg00460.html

Same message.

Except that you have to login with an OASIS ID/password to see the
second one.

(Also uniform across TCs so I will have to look for others on
differences in TCs in particular.)

> I can imagine that creative chaos, in prescribed bounds, can be quite
> useful. The question is where do you draw a box around it and say,  "This
> is an OASIS deliverable and we all need to be doing this the same way",
> versus, "This is a TC working style detail"?  I think the OASIS promise is
> in transparency and openness, that the messy day-to-day work is visible,
> not that it is always pretty.

Not a question of closing off creative chaos or having a single working
style.

Questions like:

Where do you look for the latest draft of the work of a TC?

Should have a uniform answer. Yes?

> In any case, it is a trade-off, between the benefits of order and the
> administrative cost to monitor and enforce the order, or the technology
> costs to acquire and support tools that enforce the order for us.

Well, true, it is always a trade-off. I am arguing that we should err on
making our work products predictably accessible to both members and
visitors. How much we need to spend on that is an open question.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick