Subject: Re: [chairs] Who needs OASIS any more?

David,

On 6/23/2010 10:44 AM, David RR Webber (XML) wrote:
20100623074448.dc066b1d4d2e0a1a65719ae85a8071e6.25e0cdcd60.wbe@email00.secureserver.net" type="cite">
Thought I'd throw this rant out there - given recent developments and initiatives around us.

My excuse is it's summer time, its hot, and we're all cranky.

But having said all this - perhaps we are well positioned to do all this in any case?

You really should not spend so much time in the glare of PR releases from the W3C and OASIS. Doesn't cause heatstroke but something close to it.

The federal government has released 400 data sets as "linked data."

Wow! Sounds like a lot, until you realize that data.gov has 272,277 data set *not* in "linked data."

There are more data sets on the way, but I doubt that ratio is going to change any time soon.

If that weren't enough, the information needs of the communities that OASIS serves are going to continue to evolve. If there has been any lesson we should have learned over the last 50 or so years of computers is that the *next* format is the one we need to be preparing for.

That isn't to imply that there is anything wrong with linked data or RDF or other methodologies but our customers are going to need standards that enable them to exchange documents, data, etc., based on those technologies.

And the standards we develop today, aren't going to be the standards they need five years from now.

And our customers are going to need a forum to develop those standards, a forum just like OASIS.

There are some changes, large and small that I think would make OASIS and even more relevant forum for such efforts but for the moment I only wanted to answer your "The End Is Near" posting.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

PS: Hot? In Atlanta they are issuing heat alerts for mad dogs and Englishmen.

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net