Subject: RE: [chairs] When is a TCs work done?

As a member of the TAB, I’m constantly looking at areas  in the TC Process that need improving.

The one observation I have from this discussion is that section 2.15 of the TC Process does not mention any requirement to send a warning to a TC.

I think TC Admin is right to send out such a warning, to give a TC the  chance to keep itself alive should it choose to do so. Therefore I will raise an issue and it can be discussed at the Board Process Sub Committee.

Cheers,

    Martin.

From: David RR Webber (XML) [mailto:david@drrw.info]
Sent: 18 July 2010 17:10
To: Eduardo Gutentag
Cc: dennis.hamilton@acm.org; chairs@lists.oasis-open.org; Martin Chapman; robert_weir@us.ibm.com

Eduardo,

Appreciate the guidance.  I do believe that we need some changes here.

Yes - we are all spread paper thin - and hence we need to help each other.

If we had an early warning notice mechanism - where the chair was being sent a remind a month out - this would all have been avoided.   A six month prior notice - the original complaint in which was resolved - does not count - situations change a lot in six months.

So again we're back to the role of TC admin - are they trying to close TC's or are they looking to help chairs continue work in progress?  Currently it appears that the former is occurring here.

Notice as a chair and member of TCs I've helped many TCs re-charter, get new members, publish specifications, and more - so I am proactive - when notified in a timely fashion that things need addressing.

What I'm objecting to here is about a weeks notice - and much worse - the "You failed" type messaging to the TCs involved.  None of this is conducive to the TC turning things around and whether that is the intent or not - it is the outcome currently.

When the TC and chairs are working incredibly hard on their technical work they don't need administrative trip wiring undermining that.  The whole point is to bring the technical work to completion.  And usually doing the technical work will drive the administrative stuff too - but not always - depending on key members availability, other project scheduling and demands and prioritizing.  Gaps occur of several months as we've all seen.

Then Observers are obviously important to the TC.  They are potential source of members, and many frankly are not aware of the subtle differences, or under other pressures.  For example our observers post valuable comments to the list and chair. The list message bounces of course - but of course they can post to the dev list OK - that's a bit of an anomaly.  Then we have the case of the second class status of non-member organization members - when they are doing all the work on the TC!!!

An additional way of counting all this could be to factor in contributions to the discussions and technical work.

So - yes - we will be appealing this if necessary.

I'm hoping this coming week we can get this all resolved amicably - but as I said - if this had been raised a month ago - we would not be going through all this - and that is a big issue here.

Thanks, DW