Subject: RE: [chairs] email problems

Although this might not be related to any of the symptoms being observed
separate from Mary's specific concerns, I note that a number of OASIS
participants have had their e-mail addresses and affiliations changed
lately.  Since many items that come through the OASIS systems bear the
e-mail address of the sender (rather than of the list), this can lead to
spam filtering in unexpected places.

I am also always disturbed to discover that a service I use has added or
improved its filtering of spam on my behalf, in a way where I have no
knowledge of it and I have no way to intervene.  It makes it particularly
difficult for someone who has seen bounced mail from me tell me about it via
e-mail.  So far I have managed to ensure that I receive everything received
at my e-mail address so that I can scan my personal Junk mail folder myself
and identify legitimate mail from a sender address not previously known to
me.

Finally, I also have the experience that mail from the service that carries
my e-mails into the Internet tends to become blacklisted by certain
receiving mail systems.  (I despair of being able to reliably send mail to
people with Hotmail addresses for that reason.)  I don't know what those
heavy-handed procedures are by which all mail from a particular heavily-used
service is blocked whether or not it is associated with any repugnant
activity, but I hope no one claims to be using AI to do it.

 - Dennis