Subject: RE: [chairs] Re: Publication templates

Dennis,

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 19:02 -0800, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Jon, I think Kristen points out the problem.  It is about having to reverse
> engineer a template in order to determine what is essential about the
> template so it can be faithfully honored when a different authoring tool is
> used.

Perhaps I am showing my generation too, ;-), but I don't understand the
"use the template" mentality.

To create the template required *implicit* knowledge of the
formatting/structure requirements.

Like markup, what I understand to be requested is making that knowledge
*explicit* so that the required format can be produced by any tool with
the required capabilities.

Just so you know, this issue isn't limited to OASIS.

Some colleagues had to reverse engineer the "template" from an
international standards organization by eye-balling the template and
producing drafts, then asking, "...is this ok?" until they matched the
required format.

They did that because when asked, the organization said no one actually
knew the formatting requirements other than as expressed in the
template.

Ironic that standards organizations aren't users of standards, or at
least some of them aren't.

Hope you are at the start of a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net