Subject: Re: [chairs] Re: Committee Notes

Has anyone noticed the disconnect between the new TC Process and the Media
Relations Policy on external presentations?  Not only do they require
different templates, but they require different level of approval.

The FAQ on the TC Process says this:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process-faq.php

"10. If a TC is preparing a slide presentation for a public event, does
the presentation really have to be classified and approved as a
Non-Standards Work Product, including the requirements to list all
contributors, have a statement about patents on every slide, require
public review, etc.?
Yes; however, a member of a TC may present material related to TC
activities that has been approved as a Committee Note Draft as long as the
status is properly conveyed and quality requirements in section 2.18 of
the TC Process Policy have been met."

But the Media Relations Policy says this:

http://www.oasis-open.org/news/media_relations_policy.php

"Speaking on behalf of OASIS Committees
To speak publicly on behalf of an OASIS Committee, an individual should:
be a member of that Committee
notify and receive approval from the Committee chair
notify events@oasis-open.org prior to the event, so that staff can promote
the presentation on the OASIS Event Calendar and in OASIS News
format his/her presentation using the OASIS slide template
forward slides to events@oasis-open.org following the event for posting on
the OASIS Presentations Page."

So there is inconsistency as to whether I as a TC Chair, can give a
presentation "on behalf of an OASIS Committee" at a conference, without
putting the presentation into a non-existent Committee Note presentation
template and having it approved as a Committee Note Draft.

I know I can avoid the issue altogether by using an IBM template and
giving the presentation that way.  But IBM is already pretty well-known
these days.  I'd rather take the opportunity to promote OASIS wherever
possible.  I've done that in the past and have been able this way to lead
others to join OASIS.  This is a good thing, I think.

We should also keep in mind the needs of Adoption TCs, whose deliverables
mention in their charters not only include whitepapers and other printed
materials, but things such as approved logos, webinars, podcasts, etc. Do
we really want to require that a ODF podcast include a recitation of all
20 members of the TC?  Must we really deliver a podcast in HTML and PDF as
well as the original WAV file?  Really?  And how do we put a patent
statement on "every page" of a podcast?  Stop every 30 seconds and say,
"We pause now for an important message from the OASIS Board of Directors"
???

Regards,

-Rob