Subject: RE: [chairs] Fixed: Automatic notifications for Kavi Group ballots[was: Automatic notifications for Kavi Group ballots are not working]

Re. "best practice", the voting population is determined by voting rights at the start of the ballot and cannot be changed afterwards. To my knowledge, the only way to change is to cancel the ballot and start a new one, essentially asking members to vote again. If there is a 7-day e-ballot requirement, this will restart the clock as well. I always double-check voting rights before starting a ballot.

david

-----Original Message-----
From: Robin Cover [mailto:robin@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2011 10:33 AM
To: OASIS Chairs List; Chet Ensign; Paul Knight
Cc: Robin Cover

On 2-June-2011 we reported on a new anomaly in processing of
TC/Subcommittee/MemberSection Ballots using the Kavi system: email
notifications typically sent to eligible voters were not
being distributed.

The cause of the problem has been identified, and fixed
at least for the time being (errant lock file).  Should
anyone observe a recurring problem, or any problem
relating to Kavi ballot management, please let us
know immediately.

Reminder to TC Chairs and others who may create a TC
ballot using the Kavi tool: the application does not
send out a notification to the TC discussion list
when a TC ballot is opened.  Only eligible voters
are notified.  Or rather: only persons **reckoned as
eligible** are notified.  This sometimes creates
surprise and frustration on the part of TC members
not notified, as they may be unaware of a ballot
in progress, where they feel (belatedly) that they
should have been deemed eligible to vote.

Best practice may be for the TC Chair or other
ballot creator to send email notice to the entire
TC list (subscribers) so as to keep everyone
informed about a new TC ballot creation.  In particular,
this message to the list will provide opportunity for any
TC member to ask for assistance if she/he
believes voting eligibility has not been determined
properly.

Cheers,

  - Robin

Robin Cover
OASIS, Director of Information Services
Editor, Cover Pages and XML Daily Newslink
Email: robin@oasis-open.org
Staff bio: http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#cover
Cover Pages: http://xml.coverpages.org/
Newsletter: http://xml.coverpages.org/newsletterArchive.html