Subject: Report from TC Admin Open Mic sessions

OASIS TC Chairs,

Yesterday, I held two "Open Mic with TC Admin" sessions to report to
you on our performance last year and plans for the year to come. The
slides from the presentation are attached to this email.  Please feel
free to share this with members of your Technical Committee.

14 members attended the morning session and 11 the evening session.
During the sessions, we had several questions worth sharing with you
all. Here is a quick recap for you of the questions and answers from
the sessions.

- Could TC Admin provide estimated completion dates for support
requests so that we know when we will have specification URLs? A
second question that came out of the discussion is could TC Admin give
TCs links to csds, cs'es etc. in advance of their actual publication
so that if they need to use them, for example in press releases, they
can get them faster? Answer: on estimated dates, I can experiment with
that now that I have a good base of data for making estimates. On
links, yes we can provide them on request and it may be useful
practice to communicate them back to the TCs ahead of final
publication whenever we can.

- Can OASIS provide us with a master list of events in which it is
participating or sponsoring? Answer:Jane Harnad maintains an OASIS
Events calendar at http://events.oasis-open.org/home/ . If you have
questions or suggestions about events, you can also contact her
anytime at jane.harnad@oasis-open.org .

- Regarding maintenance on OASIS Deliverables, which is easier: for a
TC to go into maintenance mode or just shut down and start a new
maintenance TC when there is work to do? Answer: If a TC is planning
to close but expects that maintenance questions may come, the easiest
way forward is to declare that it will operate in maintenance mode.
Many charters now expressly state the TC's plans to do exactly this.
While the concept of maintenance mode is not an official standing in
the OASIS Process, TC Admin will respect a TCs desire to do this at a
lower level of activity. If the TC does not expect maintenance to be
an issue, there is no problem shutting down and starting a maintenance
TC in the future should it become necessary. Starting a maintenance TC
would follow all the steps of starting a new TC.

- How often do TCs provide lists of non-OASIS contacts for additional
notifications to broaden the scope of their public review? Has TC
Admin given thought to broadening the channels of the announcements of
public reviews so that specs get more feedback? Answer: While I have
not done a count, my sense is that 1/4 of TCs provide additional
notification lists, and 3/4 don't. I suggested that I can be more
proactive at encouraging TCs to submit additional notification lists
when requests for public reviews come in. I will also follow up with
Carol Geyer, our dir fo communications, on other ways we might promote
public reviews beyond the boundaries of OASIS.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have questions or
suggestions. I plan another update in May.

--

/chet

Primary: +1 973-378-3472
Mobile: +1 201-341-1393