Subject: Re: [chairs] Gentle reminder to all TCs regarding acknowledging comments during your feedback

Robin Cover <robin@oasis-open.org> wrote on 03/29/2012 08:04:55 AM:
> Subject: Re: [chairs] Gentle reminder to all TCs regarding
> acknowledging comments during your feedback

> > Lately I have received some complaints from people who
> > took the time to provide comments during public reviews...
>
> Excellent reminder below about professional etiquette
> in taking time to "thank those who take the time to send
> you comments."

It is good to have clarification on this.  I recall hearing from a TC Admin, several years ago, that since subscription to the comment list was required for someone to submit a comment in the first place, they would receive a copy of their own comment, via the list, and this was sufficient to "acknowledge the receipt".

Also, from the "professional etiquette" standpoint, I don't think it matters whether a comment came in strictly within the bounds of a public review.  It is a good idea to acknowledge all comments, whenever received.

> This may be a good time also to remind TCs about the
> professional courtesy in providing a published summary
> of all comments and dispositions at the end of a public
> review period.  The following complaint has also been
> heard, increasingly, from parties who simply want to
> know what happened in a public review event:
>
> "I looked for the disposition log following the public review
> of the specification, and could not find any document/record
> summarizing the disposition of comments."
>
> The public review "disposition log" is not labeled with
> that descriptor in the TC Process, which says in more
> general terms that a final record (viz., "at the end")
> is required:
>
>    "The TC must acknowledge the receipt of each comment,
>     track the comments received, and post to its
>     primary e-mail list its disposition of each comment
>     at the end of the review period."

http://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/tc-process#publicReview-comments

We've also sent a link to this report to the comment list itself. I'm surprised that is not a required or at least a recommended practice.

> Historically, it's become common practice for TCs
> to present a final (rollup) summary using a spreadsheet
> or similar publication which compiles (logs) the comments
> from the two lists (TC Comment List, TC Discussion
> List), removes duplicates, isolates discrete issues
> from compound/aggregated statements, documents
> the TC's disposition for each comment, and links to
> the list archive sources for each atomic comment.
> TCs sometimes also refer to issues in a JIRA
> project (component), if triage of comments has been
> done using the JIRA issue tracker facility.

We've processed 1,845 public comments in the ODF TC, over three versions.  Using JIRA to process them has been essential.  We use a python script to scrape the comments from the comment list, and turn them into URL/commands for import into JIRA, using their REST API.  Then the TC resolves via JIRA and at the end exports to a spreadsheet.

Of course, not every TC will need to deal with that many comments, but I'm happy to share my python script if anyone wants to implement a similar workflow for their TC.

http://docs.oasis-open.org/TChandbook/Reference/

http://www.oasis-open.org/people/staff/robin-cover
http://xml.coverpages.org/
http://xml.coverpages.org/newsletterArchive.html