Subject: Re: [chairs] Gentle reminder to all TCs regarding acknowledging comments during your feedback

Just don't forget to tell people that the comment lists are NOT
discussion lists.  It can be a constant struggle to prevent such
abuse.  (Another reason to not automatically subscribe everyone.)

Jon

Considine, Toby (Campus Services IT) wrote:
Whenever a TC votes a spec out for Public Review, it now gets back an email, to the TC, acknowledging the beginning of the process. Perhaps a reminder of the comments process in that email is also in order.

"We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."   - George Orwell

Toby Considine
Chair, OASIS oBIX Technical Committee
U.S. National Inst. of Standards and Tech. Smart Grid Architecture Committee
Facilities Technology Office
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC

Email: Toby.Considine@ unc.edu
Phone: (919)962-9073
http://www.oasis-open.org
blog: www.NewDaedalus.com

That is a good point - adding it to the topics TCs will want to decide on earlier rather than later...

Many TCs have active members, passive members, and silent observers. It is not always clear that all of them *want* to be on the comments list.

It can be much clearer to TC members that they should subscribe, particularly if they are in the "Active" group. It is not always clear how to make it clearer, given that subscribing to the comment list is already on the TC's Jira page.

I vote against making it automatic, except, perhaps for the Chair, Secretary , Editor. It might be better to make a discussion of this a part of the start-up of each TC.

tc