Subject: Chairs: Requesting your feedback on comment resolution logs

TC Chairs,

Recently, I have had several discussions with people on comment
resolution logs. As I'm sure you know from the TC Process, TCs are
required to maintain logs of comments received and their resolution
and provide them at several different points throughout the process.
Specifically, in section 3.2 Public Review of a Committee Draft
(http://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/tc-process#publicReview),
the process reads:

"The TC must acknowledge the receipt of each comment, track the
comments received, and post to its primary e-mail list its disposition
of each comment at the end of the review period."

Our growing liaisons with other standards bodies is making getting
this right even more important.

I believe it is becoming more and more important that we accomplish
both the letter and the spirit of this requirement in order to make it
easier for commenters to learn of the disposition of their feedback,
for reviewers to learn what has happened between one public review and
the next, and for voters to get a full picture of the history of a
Committee Specification when it is advanced as a Candidate OASIS
Standard.

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on how best to accomplish
this, how best to provide you with the flexibility you need while
ensuring that the record of comments and resolutions is maintained and
made available over time. For example,

- Some TCs are using JIRA successfully to track, manage and report on
comments. Would training in using JIRA for this process be useful?

- Some TCs are using spread sheets to track and report on feedback.
Would template spread sheets help you adopt this approach?

- Would a document on best practices help you and your TC put a
mechanism in place to successfully track and report on comments.

Please take a minute to share your thoughts with me on how we can make
this work conveniently and securely. I want to gather the fruits of
your experience and thoughts, as well as the feedback from your TC,
before making any proposals for next steps.

I look forward to hearing from you and meanwhile, thank you for all
the work that you do here at OASIS.

Best regards,

/chet
Chet Ensign