Subject: RE: [chairs] Chairs: Requesting your feedback on comment resolution logs

Chet

Attached is the spreadsheet I used for the three OASIS XSPA profiles.  An
example of the spreadsheet format can be found at:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/security/email/archives/200907/
xls00000.xls

I saw (then used) this approach in HL7 several years ago.  It was helpful in
tracking, disposing, and documenting comments received in preparing profiles
for ballot.  It organizes submitted comments and can be used to focus
discussion as the TC resolves each issue.  I hope this helps others to
preserve the process used to resolve comments.

Regards,
David
David Staggs, JD, CISSP
Chief Technology Officer
Jericho Systems Corporation
Direct:   (858) 433-1473

-----Original Message-----
From: Chet Ensign [mailto:chet.ensign@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:22 PM
To: chairs@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: OASIS TAB; Scott McGrath; Jamie Clark
Subject: [chairs] Chairs: Requesting your feedback on comment resolution
logs

TC Chairs,

Recently, I have had several discussions with people on comment resolution
logs. As I'm sure you know from the TC Process, TCs are required to maintain
logs of comments received and their resolution and provide them at several
different points throughout the process.
Specifically, in section 3.2 Public Review of a Committee Draft
(http://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/tc-process#publicReview),
the process reads:

"The TC must acknowledge the receipt of each comment, track the comments
received, and post to its primary e-mail list its disposition of each
comment at the end of the review period."

Our growing liaisons with other standards bodies is making getting this
right even more important.

I believe it is becoming more and more important that we accomplish both the
letter and the spirit of this requirement in order to make it easier for
commenters to learn of the disposition of their feedback, for reviewers to
learn what has happened between one public review and the next, and for
voters to get a full picture of the history of a Committee Specification
when it is advanced as a Candidate OASIS Standard.

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on how best to accomplish this, how
best to provide you with the flexibility you need while ensuring that the
record of comments and resolutions is maintained and made available over
time. For example,

- Some TCs are using JIRA successfully to track, manage and report on
comments. Would training in using JIRA for this process be useful?

- Some TCs are using spread sheets to track and report on feedback.
Would template spread sheets help you adopt this approach?

- Would a document on best practices help you and your TC put a mechanism in
place to successfully track and report on comments.

Please take a minute to share your thoughts with me on how we can make this
work conveniently and securely. I want to gather the fruits of your
experience and thoughts, as well as the feedback from your TC, before making
any proposals for next steps.

I look forward to hearing from you and meanwhile, thank you for all the work
that you do here at OASIS.

Best regards,

/chet
Chet Ensign