Subject: RE: [chairs] Chairs: Requesting your feedback on comment resolution logs

Jon,
"the list", for comments, nonetheless requires subscription and through that, acceptance of Contribution obligations.
+1 on your main points btw....

Peter F Brown
Independent Consultant
www.peterfbrown.com
+1 310 694 2278 (USA)
+44 7913 046 997 (UK)
+32 472 027 811 (Rest of Europe)
Twitter @PensivePeter

Sent from my phone - Apologies for brevity and typos: it's hard writing on a moving planet

From: Jon Bosak
Sent: 05-May-12 8:24
To: chairs@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Jamie Clark; OASIS TAB; Chet Ensign; Scott McGrath

Thanks, Jamie.

I've been reliably informed that OASIS gave up on the form I referred to
earlier and now just accepts comments through the list; that gives me a
better context.

But now I'm having trouble understanding why we need to acknowledge all
comments sent to a publicly visible, archived list.  They're in the
list, right?

And people who care to see what eventually happened have the publicly
visible, archived record mandated by the process, right?

I hope no one is suggesting that a TC must act on any comment received
beyond what's already specified in our (extremely open) process or
worse, that it is under some kind of obligation to engage in discussion
with the genral public; that would not only be insupportable, it would
be quite unheard of in standards work conducted by experts, which is
what we're supposed to be doing here.  A diplomatic regard for the
tender feelings of some very significant stakeholder will naturally
incline a chair with any sense to respond somehow (perhaps off the
comment list), but trying to mandate this kind of thing is at best
counterproductive.

I trust as usual that someone will set me right if I am further
misunderstanding the tenor of this discussion.

Jon