Subject: Re: [chairs] For those TCs using JIRA

Respectfully I urge against restricting access to JIRA to some "special" TC members.

In the spirit of openess and fairness, a TC JIRA should be writable by any TC voting member and should be readable by the world.

I think it goes against the grain of openness and fairness to restrict issue creation to a subset of TC members. The whole idea is to make it easy for any one on the TC to file issues as they thin of it. Filing an issue does not imply that it will be accepted or addressed. However, it makes sure that it is recorded and what the TC decided to do with it (along with rationale) to also be recorded.

What does need to be limited are JIRA admin privileges which allow creation of versions, milestones etc.

These are fairly established practice in open standards as well as open source projects from what I have seen.

OASIS should not allow TC's to have less open issue management policies.

On 08/06/2012 06:03 PM, Patil, Sanjay wrote:
+1 as this approach means - less email traffic for TC members, and lesser work load for the TC admin!

One caveat I see here is that, the need for which TC members should have access to JIRA and when the access should be enabled would depend upon the particular TC's issue management practices. I think raising and resolving issues is a core process most of the TCs depend upon for advancing their deliverables (specifications, etc). If a TC has designated Issues Editors who are responsible for logging and maintaining the issues, then only those few Issues Editors would need access to JIRA. On the other hand, if a TC aims to allow any TC member to directly open an issue in JIRA, then it would be deemed as convenient for all the TC members to have implicit access to JIRA (instead of having to contact the TC Admin at the time of raising the first issue!).

In my experience, several of the raised issues may not be approved by the TC. Therefore, it may make sense to use TC mailing lists for submitting new issues, and use JIRA for tracking only the approved issues (in which case not every TC member would need access to JIRA).

On a side note - support for single-sign-on between JIRA, Kavi and other systems may resolve (or altogether eliminate) this issue in the future. But until then it would make sense to provide JIRA access to only those members who intend to use it, IMHO.

Sanjay

-----Original Message-----
From: Chet Ensign [mailto:chet.ensign@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2012 2:41 PM
To: Peter F Brown
Cc: chairs@lists.oasis-open.org

True Peter, it is easy to add a person. And you bring up another good
reason not to bulk add people, particularly for those who work on
multiple TCs.

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Peter F Brown <peter@peterfbrown.com> wrote:
Chet,
I personally think that it is a bad idea to automatically add all TC members.
By default, once added, users receive notifications of everything. The resultant flood can turn people off as much as please those for whom this information is valuable.
If someone wants to be added, it's a relatively simple task, no?