Subject: Re: [chairs] Voting No on TGF ballot - TC's RESPONSE

John,

According to Peter:

> that the conformance section of the document was drafted in
> accordance with the OASIS TC Process document and sought, received,
> and followed, counsel from the OASIS TC Administration in this
> matter.

According to John:

> and no complaints have been received at any stage
>> during the various internal and public reviews.

Really?

So the TC Admin had no advice on your conformance clauses? None?

And the tone of both Peter's and John's posts make it clear that they
had no intentions of drafting an OASIS standard, but something else.

All complaints about conformance clauses would be discarded by the TC.

Voters are already switching their votes in favor of quality at OASIS,
suggest readers of this list do the same.

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Patrick

PS: As far as this exchange being public, what part of:

> OASIS believes widespread adoption can only be achieved when all
> those affected by a standard participate in its creation. We offer
> a range of membership levels to support an inclusive,
> international, and balanced member base. We seek input from
> non-members as well--achives of OASIS Committee documents and
> mailing lists are publicly accessible, and regular public reviews
> of specifications are required by our TC Process.

seems unclear to the TGF TC?

Or is it that members of the TGF TC don't like open and public
discussions?

On 04/23/2013 09:49 AM, John Borras wrote:
> Chairs
>
> You will already have seen the response from Peter Brown, copy
> attached, to Patrick's complaint.  I have to re-enforce
> emphatically on behalf of my TC what Peter has said in our defence.
> The TC has followed all OASIS procedures to the letter and no
> complaints have been received at any stage during the various
> internal and public reviews.  So why does Patrick raise this
> objection at the 11th hour during the final vote. He has had ample
> opportunity to raise any objections at an earlier date and to do so
> now is not really helpful to all my colleagues on the TC who have
> put in many hours of hard work to get to where we are today. It
> also reflects badly on OASIS as all of the consequences of these
> exchanges will be in the public domain. I'm sure as TC chairs you
> can empathise with that situation.
>
> Also in our opinion he is wrong in trying to compare the approach
> to conformance clauses in the more traditional OASIS technical
> standards where making systems interoperate is the objective and
> can be fully tested.  Those parameters are not the same for a
> business methodology like the TGF.  Our objective is not about
> interoperability as such but setting a standard approach for
> running a business change programme, in this case for the delivery
> of public sector services.  There are many other business
> standards including ISO and national standards where the same type
> of conformance criteria as we have in the TGF are set.  So a
> different mentality is required for our case and we do not believe
> Patrick’s views reflect that perspective.  We think his final
> sentence in his note sums it up where he talks about “OASIS
> standards to have any credibility in the IT world”. OASIS and many
> other standards organisations nowadays are not just about the IT
> world and the TGF is definitely not just about IT. There is a going
> trend to address the business and other aspects of deploying IT
> systems and we believe we are in the vanguard of that new focus.
>
> I respectively ask you to ignore Patrick's request to vote No and
> to confirm your support for our work.
>
> Regards John Borras
>
> Chair OASIS TGF Technical Committee
>
> m. +(0)44 7976 157745 Skype:  gov3john
> www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=tgf
>

> -----Original Message----- From: Patrick Durusau
> [mailto:patrick@durusau.net] Sent: 23 April 2013 01:18 To:
> chairs@lists.oasis-open.org Subject: [chairs] Voting No on TGF
> ballot
>
> Greetings!
>
> I have posted a some what longer narrative about why organizational
> members should vote no on the TGF ballot that closes Wednesday,
> April 25, 2013 at: http://www.durusau.net/publications/TGF-No.pdf
>
> Please pass this along to your primary reps.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Hope you are having a great week!
>
> Patrick

- --
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)
Former Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau