Subject: Re: [chairs] TGF Minutes Report

Interested readers will note that Peter continues to:

1) Attack me personally rather than address the merits.

2) Rules are for "next" time (we have rules for this situation now).

3) Interoperability is no longer a characteristic of standards. That's
the fool's errand.

4) You might want to ask yourself why someone would want a
non-standard to have a standards label from OASIS? (think PAS)

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

On 04/24/2013 11:56 AM, Peter F Brown wrote:
> Paul, With all due respect: there are *already* several standards
> adopted that are "a different kind of work". It would have been a
> fool's errand on the part of the TC to go through the whole process
> only to realize on the last home stretch, "oops, this isn't
> right!". The TGF TC looked to precedence to guide it's work.
>
> The fact is that there are no requirements for something to be a
> Standard that are different from something to be considered as a
> Committee Specification. The relevant provisions of 2(18)(8)(a)
> apply equally to Public Review, Committee Specification, and
> Standard. That may well be an issue: I have always and consistently
> argued that there ought to be a difference between approving
> something as a Committee Specification and a Standard - but the
> only difference we have today is a member-wide ballot on a proposed
> Standard. On that one point, Patrick is right.
>
> However, I do not believe that it is "bonne guerre" to use the last
> couple of days of a two week ballot as a whipping boy for a
> perceived shortcoming in the overall process. If Patrick felt
> passionately about this, he would have consistently argued the case
> at the Public Review stage of this, and every other "offending"
> draft spec. - he has not; Or in his capacity as a member of the
> Technical Advisory Board - which he has not done; or in his
> capacity as a Liaison from JTC 1/SC34. He has stated very clearly
> that he has full authority in the position but has only chosen to
> exercise it in a last minute campaign against a single ballot
> rather than address the systemic issue he claims to be supporting.
>
> Thankfully, this incident has generated plenty of useful and
> thoughtful contributions to the debate that we are due to have at
> the next Board meeting - a debate that I asked for before and
> independently of the current ballot.
>
> Many thanks for your, and many other, helpful comments and
> constructive responses.
>
> Best regards, Peter
>
> From: Paul Fremantle [mailto:paul@wso2.com] Sent: Wednesday, 24
> April, 2013 08:38 To: Chet Ensign Cc: Peter F Brown; Patrick
> Durusau; chairs@lists.oasis-open.org Subject: Re: [chairs] TGF
> Minutes Report
>
> Chet
>
> Thanks very much for your clearly thought through note. I think
> that the TC process as written is not 100% clear. My personal
> reading of the TC process clearly differs from yours. I'm unwilling
> to say that mine is right and yours is wrong: I think there are
> different goals and there is clearly a goal here by the TGF TC to
> attempt to standardize a different kind of work than has previously
> been in OASIS. I can see why you support that because there is
> clearly excellent work that has gone into this document and I
> really applaud what the TC has done in moving forward this area.
>
> However, my own personal view is that the TC process should be
> modified if OASIS wishes to support this kind of work. I think
> [...]

- --
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)
Former Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau