Subject: Re: [chairs] Problems with pranksters on TC calls

Chairs,

The CAMP TC just concluded it's weekly call a moment ago, and we had the trolls on the call who were very disruptive. They claimed to be employed by IBM. We resorted to ending the call, and changing the conference call passcode, and starting over which wasted 20 minutes of our meeting time. I strongly suggest that other TC's proactively change their pass codes (and or conference codes), and communicate them privately so that they are not visible on the OASIS web site (in mailing list archives, for example) or included in minutes that are published in public URLs. Valerie Fenwick's suggestion below to use BCC to avoid TC discussion email on invite threads is a good one.

It's really disappointing that we have people who have nothing better to do than cause disruptions for those of us trying to make the world a better place through open collaboration.

Thanks,

Adrian

On Jun 4, 2013, at 2:49 PM, Peter F Brown <peter@peterfbrown.com> wrote:

The Lync server is on a Microsoft platform but there are clients, desktop and mobile, for many devices and platforms, including Mac, Android, etc. Depending on the host, there is also full PABX support so that you can dial in.

I think Ken's point is that with a conferencing system - be it Lync, WebEx, or other - the facility of having a "waiting room/lobby" can help check known people in (and implicitly keep out others) but it may be overkill

The alternative is to publish the dial-in number but keep the participant code known only to members and observers (using a mnemonic for the code helps too...)

Cheers,
Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Valerie Fenwick [mailto:valerie.fenwick@oracle.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 04 June, 2013 14:28
To: chairs@lists.oasis-open.org

Many of us that call into these meetings are not on MS platforms, though.

Like I noted earlier, sending the dialin information out via bcc seems to keep this problem in check.

we send via bcc, because when we did otherwise, offlist discussions started, as people did reply-to-all, and we want discussions archived.

Valerie